LumberJocks

Waterfall Spalted maple and walnut sofa table

  • Advertise with us
Project by LoganN posted 01-04-2019 01:53 AM 693 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I wanted to try something different with a sofa table and had this idea. The really difficult part was making the top and bottom corners line up – I actually had to cut out the flies corner twice to get it right, but in the end I was happy and it was the first piece to sell at the art show I had it set up at, so I think it worked out. I might do another one of these this year, since my wife told me that if it didn’t sell it was staying at our house!

The finish was danish oil and wipe-on poly





6 comments so far

View pottz's profile

pottz

4683 posts in 1312 days


#1 posted 01-04-2019 02:07 AM

yeah very cool i like the look and the woods are beautiful together.i like simple designs that show off the wood and this does that well.nice work buddy.and congrats on a quick sell,id say do it again.

-- sawdust the bigger the pile the bigger my smile-larry,so cal.

View swirt's profile

swirt

3791 posts in 3300 days


#2 posted 01-04-2019 03:17 AM

I really like this look. I may borrow this, and try making the top falling layer more organic at the boundary to accentuate the waterfall. Something like this

-- Galootish log blog, http://www.timberframe-tools.com

View LoganN's profile

LoganN

451 posts in 2228 days


#3 posted 01-04-2019 12:05 PM

Thanks guys! It is a nice simple design!
Swirt – I thought about doing something like that, but I’m the end I just didn’t want to lose any of the grain! I have a friend who need a cover for a table in his basement and I want to do that in walnut it for it

View swirt's profile

swirt

3791 posts in 3300 days


#4 posted 01-04-2019 02:39 PM

@LoganN I can’t wait to see what you come up with.

What joins the one layer of wood to the other (the light to the dark)? Is is just a big glue joint?

-- Galootish log blog, http://www.timberframe-tools.com

View builtinbkyn's profile

builtinbkyn

2927 posts in 1268 days


#5 posted 01-04-2019 02:46 PM

Interesting piece. How about a little more info? How were the mitered joints done? Biscuits? Dowels? Splines?

-- Bill, Yo!......in Brooklyn & Steel City :)

View LoganN's profile

LoganN

451 posts in 2228 days


#6 posted 01-04-2019 09:20 PM

Swirt – I actually opted for an easier method: I drilled 3 oversized holes (arranged in a base down triangle) and glued, clamped, and screwed the whole thing together, then I put some walnut dowels into the holes to hide the screws. If I do it again I might try to do the leg assemblies as single pieces (dominoes with glue?) and then cut the walnut to fit the center and bring it down that way.

Builtinbkyn- sorry. I just didn’t think about it! Lol – these are cut at a 45 with my makita track saw (one of the best purchases I’ve ever made) and reinforced with festoon dominoes (another one of the best purchases!) and glued up. I used a board with sandpaper on the flat side and long triangular cut glued on the other side and clamp them together to get the miter clamped up!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com