Wood working for my entryway

  • Advertise with us
Project by locash posted 07-21-2010 06:10 AM 1772 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch

ok so I am not really sure if this belongs on lumberjocks or not. It involves wood and woodworking, but really pertains more to my efforts to restore my old home.

So It is of my old entryway in my 125 yr old home.

This is of the entryway in our house. So our home is over 100yrs old and the entryway used to be a porch and it showed. We tore off the old roof and replaced the rafters, decking and shingles. Gutted the old porch ceiling, wood wall paneling and asbestos flooring. Built a new closet for the dining room that left us with a bump out for a built in.

The flooring is rough cut slate using Ditra as an underlayment. I put in the entry door (insulated steel) hung the drywall and new recessed lights and windows. I had to custom make all of the moldings (save the crown which is primed poplar el cheapo from Menards) I custom made the built in out of 3/4” inch birch ply with birch shelves with an edge band of select pine. I rounded over the edges on the built in to make it look nice. I still have to take pictures of the doors for the lower half of the built in. The window sills were made to be an exact match of the existing 100+yr old trim using a cove and round over profile set. The post casings are simple pine with 3/8” round overs to match the rest of the house trim on windows and doors. The post plinth on the door and passway are doubled 3/4” pine with a round over. The top casing is a 1/2” thick piece of scrap pine rounded over on all sides with flat piece of pine and cornice made using a classical and cove profile. They are solid and not mitered on ends (Fun running the end grain on my router table on the 111” piece for the triple window). The interior window trim was made using an ogee profile. I had a spare applique so I put it above the entry door to dress it up. I skimmed the “old entry door frame” with 1/4” birch ply to cover the old hinge and lock set mortises.

Anyway, it was my first “box” build for the build in. Already got the doors done they came out really nice. I love the spaceballs and how they helped with the fit and finish of a raised panel door! I got really lucky on my first try with the build in and build up moldings on the windows and didn’t waste any wood and it came out spot on! I took my time and triple checked all of my measurements. It only really took me about 2wks to get it all worked out. Pretty quick, but not as quick as the wife would have liked.

Anywho I posted this even if it doesn’t really belong just to show I can make more than dog feed stands :-)

3 comments so far

View BTKS's profile


1989 posts in 4518 days

#1 posted 07-21-2010 04:41 PM

This looks authentic and exact to the period. This should tie into the remainder of the house flawlessly. The molding and details are spot on. Looks like a craftsman of the next to last century put it there.

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

View Nic's profile


119 posts in 4526 days

#2 posted 09-16-2010 05:07 PM

Looks good man. just realized you put some projects online.

View locash's profile


10 posts in 4415 days

#3 posted 09-17-2010 05:30 AM

Thanks Nic,

Remodeling this old house is a long process. It feels nice to get stuff to a pt to put on as a project.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics