Bedroom Closet Built-in

  • Advertise with us
Project by senomozi posted 06-24-2010 10:03 PM 7121 views 16 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch

The starting point for this project was a typical bedroom closet with bifold doors. The first step was to re-frame the door opening to make it almost as wide as the inside of the closet space. The idea to go with painted bevel-edge raised panel doors and drawer faces stemmed from the customer’s wish to have the unit blend-in with adjacent doors.

The frame and panel doors are roughly 30” wide x 60” high. The rails and stiles are 1 1/8” thick solid poplar assembled using floating tenons as opposed to the usual cope and stick approach. The raised panels are made from 3/4” thick solid poplar and were painted before the doors were assembled to account for seasonal wood movement. Each door rides on three SOSS #208 hinges, mortised into the door and the frame. Folllowed the manufacturer’s recommendation and located the middle hinges much above the centerline of the doors. These hinges are amazing. Very accurate and very smooth.

The drawer faces are 3/4” thick solid poplar frame and panel construction. The drawer boxes are made from 5/8” thick solid poplar. They are roughly 15” wide x 26” long x 6” deep, assembled with through dovetails on all four corners. They ride on full-extension ball bearing self-closing slides.

The remaining elements are made from maple veneer plywood edge banded with solid poplar. The paint is 100% acrylic latex diluted at 10% and spayed using an HVLP system. All built and painted in the shop.

-- Senomozi - Gatineau, Canada

12 comments so far

View Cato's profile


701 posts in 3701 days

#1 posted 06-24-2010 10:29 PM

It all looks super to me and I am sure your customer was very pleased with your work. I know I would.

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

14181 posts in 4371 days

#2 posted 06-24-2010 11:03 PM

nice job.looks good

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View Richard 's profile


394 posts in 3509 days

#3 posted 06-24-2010 11:17 PM

I like your design, very neat and concise. It almost looks like there could be a secret compartment in the back for christmas gifts or something you want kept out of sight. The finish looks very nice.

-- Richard Boise, Idaho

View lanwater's profile


3111 posts in 3322 days

#4 posted 06-25-2010 12:23 AM

Very nice closet. It definitely blend in.

Great job

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View senomozi's profile


60 posts in 3544 days

#5 posted 06-25-2010 12:52 AM

Deke asked: “What is the cabinet structure behind all this.”

Aside from the drawer unit and the cubby holes storage the structure is whatever was there before. I.e 2×4 stud walls with 1/2” drywall. This is what made the most sense since everything was going to be painted. Had the customer asked for a “real wood” unit I would have glued 1/4” veneer plywood to the drywall and used small mouldings to hide gaps in the corners.

The drawer unit is a single entity that is 1” narrower than the width of the rough opening:

I decided to go with one unit because it was small enough to handle by myself. With bigger built-ins I create modules that I assemble on site. Similar to how kitchen cupboard modules get installed. This allows me to do all the work in the shop, which translates into better fitting joints and a better finish (in my humble opinion).

Because the inside of the closet space is wider than the rough opening, there is a little bit of space wasted between the sides of the drawer unit and the drywall.

On top of the drawer unit is a piece of 3/4” maple veneer plywood that is a little smaller than the width and depth of the closet space. Notches at the front to account for the fact the rough opening is smaller. It was installed only after the drawer unit had been secured with 3” screws into the studs:

After that I installed the two cubby hole units. I used two units because it would have been impossible to get a single unit of equivalent width inside the closet and rotated to sit on the top.

At thsi point there are gaps between the top, the cubby hole units and the walls. I used a quarteround moulding to hide these gaps.

Hopefully this answer your question. If not let me know.



-- Senomozi - Gatineau, Canada

View a1Jim's profile


117627 posts in 3965 days

#6 posted 06-25-2010 12:56 AM

A great looking built in a classic look and design

View Beginningwoodworker's profile


13345 posts in 4061 days

#7 posted 06-25-2010 03:09 AM

Nice built-in, Senomozi.

View Steven_rock_doc's profile


7 posts in 3475 days

#8 posted 06-25-2010 03:17 AM

I agree with deke, These look way better than the ones I just built. I hope my wife doesn’t see this.

View Howie's profile


2656 posts in 3311 days

#9 posted 06-25-2010 04:26 AM

Definitely some serious craftsmanship. Nice job!

-- Life is good.

View Ken90712's profile


17671 posts in 3577 days

#10 posted 06-25-2010 11:03 AM

Man this is so well done that I stared at it for 5 min. This is perfect….. Although the knobs look like they’re about 1/10000000000000000 off…. Im just saying noting can be perfect…LOL Really this is perfect! The finish work is flawless!

-- Ken, "Everyday above ground is a good day!"

View BuilderMan's profile


92 posts in 3346 days

#11 posted 06-25-2010 02:57 PM

This is a good idea and looks great. I may have a homeowner that needs something like this one day. Thanks.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics