LumberJocks

Parquetry tea tray

  • Advertise with us
Project by kiwisharyn posted 06-05-2009 05:42 AM 2257 views 8 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This tea tray was designed and completed as part of a veneering project for my course. The mosaic is based on a Roman tile mosaic found at Fishbourne in the UK. Veneer is silky oak, fixed using animal glue to 6mm ply. The tray and handles are NZ Kauri. My first attempt at veneering – I wasn’t sure whether my fingers or my eyes would give out first!

-- ... must be time for a cup of tea and a sit-down





7 comments so far

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

117782 posts in 4137 days


#1 posted 06-05-2009 06:01 AM

another great project well done elegant design

View isetegija's profile

isetegija

763 posts in 4075 days


#2 posted 06-05-2009 04:39 PM

Very beautiful tray and well done.

Thanks for sharing with us and welcome to Lumberjocks community.

-- Not my woodworking http://woodworkessence.com/

View jhawkinnc's profile

jhawkinnc

111 posts in 3860 days


#3 posted 06-05-2009 07:35 PM

Very nice! I like the clean, simple lines of the handles.

View stefang's profile

stefang

16862 posts in 3894 days


#4 posted 06-07-2009 11:57 AM

Very very nice. Good design and execution. I like the historic perspective too.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

4051 posts in 4624 days


#5 posted 06-07-2009 06:04 PM

Really delightful. Although the parquetry steals the show the curve of those handles really separates this tray from the pack.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over two decades.

View kiwisharyn's profile

kiwisharyn

60 posts in 3838 days


#6 posted 06-09-2009 12:31 AM

The handles took almost as long as the rest of the tray! I ‘found’ two offcuts of kauri and designed the handles and tray to make best use of it – I had about a 2mm sliver left over on width. My first attempt at coopering as well, tried it out in pine first.
Confession: the dark red bead along the tray edge is to cover up a mistake – when I cut the base groove in the tray pieces I forgot to stop before the end, so once the pieces were joined the groove showed on the outside as a hole. D’oh! To cover it up I ran the groove on the outside of the long sides and cut the red timber to glue in as a beading. The beading was hand carved to stand a little (about 1/2 mm) proud and is actually a lovely feature of the tray now.

-- ... must be time for a cup of tea and a sit-down

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

32086 posts in 3426 days


#7 posted 08-12-2016 07:35 PM

This tray turned out beautifully.

helluvawreck aka Charles
http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

-- helluvawreck aka Charles, http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com