Restoration on a Sercretaries Desk

  • Advertise with us
Project by charger1966 posted 04-11-2009 11:23 PM 1831 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Hello Everyone, Well It’s been a while since I have posted any projects. Here is my latest one. A good friend was cleaning out their Attic and found this buried in it. He did not want it so he gave it to me. It is an old Secretaries Desk from around the early thirties we think. Anyway I got it home and started to strip the PAINT of this. I found six layers. THe paint was coming off very hard so I decided to completely disassemble the desk. Which I did. After doing this I sanded it completely and found evidence of pieces that were not there and were supposed to be there. So I made new ones, Stretchers for all the way around the bottom of the legs,well 8” up from the floor. I then reassembled it and sanded it somemore. I then stained it with Dark Walnut Stain. The wood by the way is all White Oak.After Stain I sprayed on Poly,Satin finish to complete the transformation. I bought new hinges and painted them Copper and I also painted the holders for the desktop as well. I found knobs in my junk drawer and painted the Copper and installed them. All that was left was the divider for the inside. Upon trying to reassemble it after disassembling it to strip, I broke several pieces. Right then I decided to build another one. Made with Oak Plywood it is also stained the same as the exterior. Now that it is all done It sits proudly in my living room for my wife to do all the house office work in and on it. I hope you all agree that it was worth the effort to restore.

-- "Keep Miaking That Sawdust," Lance

6 comments so far

View SCOTSMAN's profile


5849 posts in 4193 days

#1 posted 04-11-2009 11:28 PM

beaUTIFUL well done you really sorted out this mess and came up with a new desk I love all writing desks or slopes well done Lance.Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View noknot's profile


548 posts in 4050 days

#2 posted 04-12-2009 04:15 AM

Thats alot of work but it came out great


View Handi75's profile


377 posts in 4083 days

#3 posted 04-12-2009 05:23 PM

Very nicely done I would have to say.

I’m assuming it wasn’t that difficult to disassemble? Were the Drawers Stopped Dado’s and Glued?

Looks really good..


-- Jimmy "Handi" Warner,,, Twitter: @Handisworkshop, @HandisCreations

View charger1966's profile


50 posts in 4315 days

#4 posted 04-12-2009 06:08 PM

Thank you guys. Yes JW the drawer Dados were stopped Dados and the bottom is floating. It came apart rather easily i might add. I was very surprised on that. There was no glue in the whole desk. Just Nails and Dovetails.

-- "Keep Miaking That Sawdust," Lance

View robbinscabin's profile


313 posts in 4096 days

#5 posted 04-21-2009 10:19 PM

I bet your buddy is kicking himself now! That junk from the attic just needed a lot of TLC to become a real treasure! Great work.

-- Robbinscabin,

View NicoleSpag's profile


45 posts in 4686 days

#6 posted 07-20-2009 02:09 AM

very nice! I’ve been conditioned now to never paint anything and I bet there are pieces my parents have that are hiding some beautiful wood underneath. Either that or some nasty particle board ;)

-- Visit us at

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics