New Bee Hives and 1000 Days on Lumberjocks!

  • Advertise with us
Project by CueballRosendaul posted 04-14-2015 01:36 AM 1830 views 4 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I didn’t realize until I logged in today that I’ve now been on Lumberjocks for 1000 Days. I marked my calendar for the 3 year mark (1095 days) to make a special project for myself or my shop.

The shop has been smelling like fresh cut pine and beeswax for over a week now as I’ve been busy building two new hives for my honeybees. The hive I built last year has been okay, but there are some things I don’t like about it, so when I split the hive in the beginning of May, I’ll be splitting the hive into these two new boxes. I don’t have the stands and roofs made yet, so I’ll update those in my blog area under “Apiary” when I get them finished.

Building these two hives was one of those projects that takes waaaayyyyy too long. The ratio of work to satisfaction is leaning heavy on the work side. I could buy comparable boxes (without the bee logo) for about $17 a piece, so I think it was about a break even on the money but took a long time to build.

I’ve decided to downsize my hioves to 8 frame size to make them easier to manage when full of honey. The stain is golden oak and the finish is a spray applied 5 coats of outdoor spar urethane. Two deep boxes (with the bee logos) for the brood boxes, and the medium sized boxes are called “honey supers” which stack on top and will be filled with honey.

The bee logo is a modified version of a design I found online and printed out to duplicate on my Milescraft Panotgraph Router jig. It took several tries on scrap to get it just right, but after I got it dialed in, each one only took about a minute to route with the reduction set to 40%.

-- Matt CueBall Rosendaul. I don't think I've ever had a cup of coffee that didn't have cat hair or sawdust in it.

6 comments so far

View Northwest29's profile


1669 posts in 2853 days

#1 posted 04-14-2015 02:19 AM

Pretty cool and love the logo it’s nicely done. I’m not a bee person so I have to ask, what is the material in the frames that goes into the boxes?

-- Ron, Eugene, OR, "Curiosity is a terrible thing to waste."

View spanky46's profile


995 posts in 3753 days

#2 posted 04-14-2015 03:04 PM

Nice Work

-- spanky46 -- Never enough clamps...Never enough tools...Never enough time.

View BTKS's profile


1989 posts in 3827 days

#3 posted 04-14-2015 11:27 PM

Cool hives!!! Nice work on the finger joints. I love the logo too.
Just noticed on the deep frames. Since you are using ritecell or some version of it, each manufactured has their own brand name. You can save some money and aggravation by using groove top / groove bottom frames. No need to mess with the wedge top bars. I really don’t like tacking those bars back in. Those frames are built for wax or duragilt foundation. Sometimes the end bars don’t have holes when you get groove over groove. If you decide to use a different foundation that can be a headache.
Enjoy the bees!!!
OBTW, I got a cut out from an 1890 Victorian house this weekend. Pretty sure it will be a good cutout provided the queen didn’t get hurt or killed. We are starting to do splits and pull nucs down here in MO.
Later, BTKS

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

View BTKS's profile


1989 posts in 3827 days

#4 posted 04-14-2015 11:28 PM

Congrats on 1000 days!!!

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

View CueballRosendaul's profile


484 posts in 2503 days

#5 posted 04-15-2015 12:33 AM

Northwest29-the dark sheet in the frames is called foundation, it’s a wax coated sheet of plastic with little honeycomb patterns molded into it. It supposedly gives the bees a head start and some guidance on building straight comb. For guys that extract honey, it keeps the wax from flinging out of the frame. Personally I’d like to go completely foundationless which I’ve done in the honey boxes. In those smaller boxes where they’ll store the honey, I use a 3/4” strip of the foundation as a starter for them to build on, then when I harvest the honey, I cut the whole comb out and let them build new comb. I decided to use foundation in the brood box just so they don’t go crazy and build it sideways.

BTKS- I don’t mind the wedge, and I used a pin nailer to put the wedges in, so if I want to change out the foundation, I can pop it out pretty easily. I have another batch of deep frames that I’ll rotate out foundationless after they get some comb built on a few of them. The original five frames I got from my starter nuc are pretty crappy looking and should be rotated out. I think they’re about 10 years old. I’d lke to get a call for a cut out or swarm, but there’s damn few feral colonies around here.

-- Matt CueBall Rosendaul. I don't think I've ever had a cup of coffee that didn't have cat hair or sawdust in it.

View Roger's profile


21002 posts in 3167 days

#6 posted 04-17-2015 06:05 PM

Thnku for bee-keeping. We need them. Congrats on your anniversary also. Time is flying right on by.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Keep your dust collector fed. [email protected]

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics