Biggest Hybrid Block Ever...I think

  • Advertise with us
Project by TexasBlanks posted 03-17-2015 08:41 AM 4123 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Here is a special project for a special customer that I can not disclose. The Box is made of Buckeye Burl and Alumilite resin. Weighs in at 75 lbs and measures 17” x 18” x 11”. I made a mold out of melamine mdf and sprayed a mold release onto it prior to casting. Most of you will ask did I use a pressure pot? The answer is no and I found a way to bypass that process. The finished coat is a bar top epoxy in a skim (sealer) coat then a poured on coat. This is a 1 of 2 and I hope I get to see the finished project after the customer receives it. Thanks for looking

-- Wayne Ryan, Texas Blanks, Blanks

6 comments so far

View mmh's profile


3680 posts in 4529 days

#1 posted 03-17-2015 02:11 PM

The block is quite amazing without being worked on. Do you have any idea as to what the client’s project is?

I look forward to seeing the end product.

-- "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

View Terry's profile


206 posts in 4440 days

#2 posted 03-17-2015 02:14 PM

Wow! How much did the casting material cost? How long to cure?

View DavidFisher's profile


83 posts in 4504 days

#3 posted 03-17-2015 06:18 PM

That is pretty cool. How did you keep the parts of the burl at the edges? Is there some sort of internal framework?

View Arlin Eastman's profile

Arlin Eastman

4454 posts in 3368 days

#4 posted 03-17-2015 06:25 PM

Wow that looks amazing. How long did it take and how much did the materials cost?

-- It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

View Gixxerjoe04's profile


850 posts in 2383 days

#5 posted 03-18-2015 02:16 AM

Wow, how did you mix all that resin at once? Not sure how much the buckeye weighs but if it isn’t stabilized it’s light as can be, and unless they have cheaper rates if you buy in more mass quantity than their website, alumilite is $10 a pound. I’m curious if you’d divulge the secret to not using a pressure pot?

View TexasBlanks's profile


30 posts in 2034 days

#6 posted 03-18-2015 04:38 AM

The block is quite amazing without being worked on. Do you have any idea as to what the client s project is?

I look forward to seeing the end product.

- mmh

I can not say what the finished project is. The cost to make each one of the block was right at $900 + Labor. A lot of Labor. The resin was poured in 4 pours by helpers in an assembly line. I demolded the box just after 3 hours after the heat was just warm to the touch. The only problem I had with bubbles was at top. I allowed for that and poured it an extra 1 1/2” and took that off with a router jig I made.

-- Wayne Ryan, Texas Blanks, Blanks

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics