LumberJocks

YACB

  • Advertise with us
Project by rwyoung posted 01-26-2009 06:31 AM 2221 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Yet Another Cutting Board… Last coat of mineral oil applied.

I just finished tuning up my TS, planer and joiner in preparation for a larger project I’ll be starting. And the last little thing I made as a test was a Soma cube. I looked around in the short-ends pile and found some walnut and some birch. Nice contrast so that just screamed out “CHECKER BOARD CUTTING BOARD PATTERN”. Not a very big board, only about 8” x 10” as I was just playing with scraps. Also decided to make the blocks just a little bit rectangular to make it more interesting. After the final sanding I cut down the outside border to 1/2 the block width and rounded over with 1/4” on the router table. Since this one is so small I skipped finger relief on the edges and no juice trough.

This was the first time I’ve used Gorilla Glue and I must say it was nice to have the longer open time during clamping. Glued up as strips, then rip and flip method. Easy-peasy.

Also started to invest in cabinet makers clamps (ie Bessy style). I had been using pipe clamps and F-clamps along with some creative caulling. These things are great, just wish they weren’t so darned expensive.

All good fun and lots of good practice in milling and precision cutting.

-- Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.





4 comments so far

View JasonIndy's profile

JasonIndy

187 posts in 3998 days


#1 posted 01-26-2009 11:39 AM

Looks sharp! I’ve been wanting to do a few cutting board patterns myself.. If you don’t mind my asking, did you have any problem with the glue-up as far as pieces popping out at all? And how heavily did you sand, if at all, after the final assembly?

View rwyoung's profile

rwyoung

412 posts in 4035 days


#2 posted 01-26-2009 01:55 PM

No popping problem. This wasn’t done with lots of little individal pieces. I did it with strips in two seperate glue-up steps.

1) Rip strips from your stock. An even number of each “color”.
2) Glue up alternating strips, long grain to long grain.
3) After time for glue to set (1-2 hr for G.G, I waited 3), scrape down and run through planer.
4) Cross cut to get strips with alternating blocks.
5) Flip every other one end-for-end to get checkerboard. Also turned endgrain UP.
6) Glue again (and wait again).
7) More scraping and quite a bit of sanding.

I used this type of cabinet maker’s clamp : http://www.adjustableclamp.com/cm-8000.htm

Once in endgrain configuration, any work you do to the surface has the potential for blowing out edge material. Don’t fret it, in my case I had planned to trim and round over so the blowout got cut off.

This is a pretty simple pattern. You can find lots of examples here for more elaborate ones. I was more interested in testing my machine setups than pattern planning. :)

-- Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

5334 posts in 4445 days


#3 posted 01-26-2009 06:11 PM

Nice test pattern. Looks like the tune up worked.

I’m chicken to try Gorilla glue. All that foam. Did you moisten the surfaces first?

So Bessy style clamps help, huh? They are expensive and I already have a bunch of pipe and F type. Oh well, new stuff is fun to buy.

Steve

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

View rwyoung's profile

rwyoung

412 posts in 4035 days


#4 posted 01-26-2009 06:23 PM

Not all that messy although I did get some on my fingers (and didn’t realize it). There are two keys it would seem to using G.G.

1) Remember it is a 2-part system where part two is water. If the wood is dry (below 10%) you need to dampen one or both surfaces. I did one and applied glue to the other.

2) It takes less glue than you think. Small bead then spread it out to a thin film. Too thick for a brush, I used scrap stock like a squeegie.

Not to sound too much like a commercial, but if you google for Gorilla Glue and find their web page, they have a pretty good set of instructions and FAQ over there. Also there is a guide for common species and how best to prep the wood.

I didn’t have much trouble with the foaming. Only a little bit (which is good according to their instructions) and I had wax paper down on the clamp bars to protect them. The squeeze-out/foam-out scrapes right off. I did that at about 2-3 hours and didn’t see tearout. Sanded off fine too.

-- Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com