Dust Collection Cart with Window — for Shop Vac and Cyclone (v1)

  • Advertise with us
Project by manuka posted 12-06-2014 02:30 AM 3616 views 3 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch

At the moment my only dust collection equipment are a broom and a ShopVac. I bought a cyclone on EBay from “eastcaroga” and thought I’d try to cobble a cart together. As a beginner project this was also an excuse to practice a few joints.

There are a number of potential improvements so this is probably version 1 of a (hopefully short) series.

Details from the pictures:

Photo 1. The cart is made of plywood and scraps of flooring that were lying around. It is finished with a single coat of pure tung oil. It sits on four casters, of which one locks. The bin is a cheapie whose plastic may not be as durable as I’d like. The seal between the lid and the bin is obtained with window insulating foam and a bungee strap. On the next version I’d like to find a bin that seals in the first place (perhaps a screw top). I raised the shopvac to make things easier on my back. Below there is potential storage for vacuum attachments, bags etc. On the joint-practicing front, there are butt joints, a dowel joint, a trench, a rabbet (I think) and pocket-holes — haven’t yet ventured into fancier joints.

Photo 2 gives an idea of the various scraps that went into the cart. It also shows a window I made in the bin to gauge how full it is. The material is polycarbonate. The threaded rods pull the window tight against the bin, and gorilla tape on the inside further prevents air passage. On the next rev I would make the window narrower as that will be better for the integrity of the bin when the vacuum sucks or the planer blows.

Photo 3 shows the cyclone’s inlet. eastcaroga ships it crimped, and that didn’t work for me because I need to plug in various things. I bought an offcut of stainless steel pipe and siliconed it around the crimp, converting the outlet to a smooth 2 1/2”. While doing the silicon I added some around the top weld which was not fully air-proof.

Photo 4 shows a cheap pedal from Ebay mounted on plywood, helpful with the miter saw. I would prefer the tool take-off plugs that people use in the States but at the moment there doesn’t seem to be one for sale at a reasonable price for the 220-240V part of the world.

Photo 5 shows a piece of my planer cart with the DW-735 plugged into the dust station. At the moment I don’t have a filter at the cyclone’s outlet, so invisible fine dust must be blowing out of the hole. Need to figure this out sometime soon — perhaps extract the dust and vent outside?

3 comments so far

View NormG's profile


6508 posts in 4053 days

#1 posted 12-06-2014 05:46 AM

You thought this one out pretty well, love the window and the way it connects

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View Lazerworks's profile


10 posts in 2330 days

#2 posted 12-06-2014 02:36 PM

These systems work great. I like the window. I built a simple version recently that works incredibly well.


-- Always Remember - Everything is temporary, the bad, and the good...

View manuka's profile


30 posts in 2370 days

#3 posted 12-07-2014 08:07 PM

Thanks for your kind comments guys.
@Lazerworks I love the system on your video, it gives me a number of ideas for improvements.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics