LumberJocks

Inlay card table refurbish

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by peterrum updated 02-22-2016 07:36 PM 6 parts 6624 reads 17 comments total

Part 1: First, get some advice

10-26-2015 05:27 AM by peterrum | 10 comments »

A neighbor of mine gave me this table as he is not a woodworker and felt he did not have the skills to refurbish it. So now I have another project. The table has no commercial markings on it so I feel that it was home made some years ago, maybe 50 years ago but I have nothing to base my estimate on. At any rate the table looked interesting enough that I will make an attempt at fixing it up but I am looking for a lot of advice and suggestions from anyone. My first ste...

Read this entry »


Part 2: So far, so good

11-25-2015 03:02 PM by peterrum | 1 comment »

The curled bits of inlay were carefully removed from the table and put aside. Then I used some water and a steam iron to heat the vacant areas and remove the old glue from the plywood base. I also used the same technique to remove the old glue from the removed inlay pieces. Then I used the steam iron again to steam the individual pieces of inlay an pressed them between two pieces of plywood to get them flat again. This worked quite well. Some of the inlay was so bad I had to replace it s...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Photo as promised. The sanding has begun.

11-28-2015 09:45 PM by peterrum | 1 comment »

As previously mentioned, all the inlay has been glued in and I have test sanded the outside edge as you can see with 60 grit. I need the heavy grit to get the old varnish topcoat off. I am using a combination of hand sanding and a palm sander.

Read this entry »


Part 4: All sanded

12-09-2015 11:31 PM by peterrum | 4 comments »

Bit by bit and either with a palm sander or by hand, the table has been sanded to a nice smooth finish. 180 grit was the last grit I used and I felt that is sufficient for this project. I am quite happy with the progress and the way it looks. Now for the next step and looking for a bit of advice. I have researched as much as I can about applying a epoxy bar finish. I think it was on a youtube post that someone prefinished their table with tung oil. I am thinking of doing the same thing ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Teak oil application

12-19-2015 02:48 PM by peterrum | 1 comment »

I have now applied two coats of teak oil to the table to seal it up a bit and hopefully this will help to reduce the amount of air bubbles that can show up during the epoxy application. I am still researching which bar top epoxy to use so it may be a while before my next post. I will probably have to get it mail ordered in after the Christmas season. At any rate, here is a photo. I like the way the teak oil has popped the different colours of the wood.

Read this entry »


Part 6: Final Chapter

02-22-2016 07:36 PM by peterrum | 0 comments »

So how many of us change our plans as we go along on a woodworking project. I would think the majority do for any number of reasons. My initial thought for this project was to put an epoxy bar top finish on it. After my research it would cost me about $150 for a quality product. Scratch that idea and lets go with a poly finish. 8 coats of poly, then wet sanded, followed by two more coats on top and the top is done. The folding table leg hardware that was on the original was broken, so o...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com