1953 Delta Milwaukee 14" Band Saw Restoration

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by onoitsmatt updated 10-26-2015 11:35 PM 6 parts 17235 reads 8 comments total

Part 1: Introduction

08-28-2015 05:51 PM by onoitsmatt | 2 comments »

I should preface this blog with a note about myself. I recently shed most of my power tools in favor of old hand tools, like Stanley Planes, Disston saws, and old Braces/Bits and eggbeater drills. This was around December of 2014 (about 9 months ago as of this writing). The two power tools I decided to keep in the shop were a band saw and a drill press. Problem was, I didn’t own a band saw (at least not a decent one). So the search began. I hemmed and hawed about it, researched, a...

Read this entry »

Part 2: Lower Wheel Assembly

09-06-2015 09:04 PM by onoitsmatt | 2 comments »

My package from Iturra arrived this week as planned. One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post as an added benefit of going with Iturra for parts, is that they include instructions on how to remove the old parts and install the new ones. If you go with NAPA or Accurate Bearing or likely any of the other outlets for bearings, you aren’t going to get the instructions on how to install them. Today I managed to mess with the lower wheel assembly. I tried to take the upper whee...

Read this entry »

Part 3: Lower Wheel Complete and Trunnion Disassembly

09-18-2015 08:04 PM by onoitsmatt | 0 comments »

I took a vacation day today to get caught up on some chores around the house and work on the band saw for a little while. I had some difficulty removing the “wheel side” bearing from the shaft. I picked up a set of 3-jaw gear pullers from Harbor Freight for $20 yesterday to do the job. I used the middle-sized set of the three and the bearing came off without difficulty using this method. That was the last step of disassembly. I am not planning on doing some immaculate...

Read this entry »

Part 4: Lower Thrust Bearing and Trunnion Reassembly

09-23-2015 09:02 PM by onoitsmatt | 2 comments »

I had a few spare minutes today so I finished cleaning up the lower thrust bearing and trunnion assembly. I also cleaned up the table and re-installed all of these things. The lower thrust bearing assembly has a metal plate that slides into the trunnion support that was tricky to get out. I didn’t know it until I had already taken it apart, but there are little clips that can be pinched (presumably with pliers) that allows a little more room for this metal plate to slide out. I us...

Read this entry »

Part 5: Upper Wheel Removal and Bearing Replacement

09-25-2015 10:09 PM by onoitsmatt | 1 comment »

This has been the most difficult thing so far. In reading about other people’s experience, it seems wheels and bearings both upper and lower are hit and miss. My lower wheel wasn’t too much of a struggle, but the upper wheel was a disaster. I couldn’t remove the wheel from the shaft. I wound up using the large gear puller (of the set of 3 I purchased at HF, mentioned in a previous post) to remove the wheel from the shaft. Even with the puller it was a bit difficult. ...

Read this entry »

Part 6: Finishing Touches

10-26-2015 11:35 PM by onoitsmatt | 1 comment »

I finished cleaning up the upper guide post and blocks and replaced the upper thrust bearing. This was all pretty simple stuff after doing the others already. I put it all back together and ran it. Everything seemed to be pretty good, but there was a fair amount of vibration in the lower wheel pulley and it looked like the upper wheel was pretty wobbly too. I was concerned about the upper wheel since I’d been banging on the upper wheel bearings so hard to get them out. ...

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics