shop projects that failed #2: Rebuild the Shopsmith cabinet ...again..doing better.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by oldguy2 posted 04-24-2020 10:43 PM 389 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Shopsmith storage idea # %^$# Part 2 of shop projects that failed series no next part

So in the first build here in AZ I used a coffee table on the stand underneath and there are 5 casters under the stand to it rolls instead of the tubes holding the weight. I have found that I prefer shelves in the cabinet instead of drawers a bit of convenience and a bit of lazy. The quard needs a place the fence needs place. they don’t fit in drawers. So I lowered the table…this is why I was doing this rebuild, the tubes hit the table not even going down to even with the drill chuck…ooops. So I cleared it out. lowered the table all the way marked the low height. I had some 5/8 pine tongue and groove left over and fit those over two cleats. I put back the lower shelf and its on 2×3 legs. So i have room for the shoe box storage and some box storage. disk paper. blades on the side.. Sand disk on the side. ON the top I keep some tape measure and metal rule, push blocks, gripper and pencils. Not a fancy build but it does what I want. Hope it gives you some ideas for yours.

1 comment so far

View oldguy2's profile (online now)


296 posts in 2314 days

#1 posted 04-25-2020 01:04 PM

I have the original plans. Hands On magazine from Shopsmith 1982. They used half inch plywood one and a half sheet. 2 inch strips reinforced the bottom shelf underneath enough the plans were for the belt sander and jointer to be stored in that compartment. the box above them for fence and saw guard. a right side section was 4 trays..held up by mirror clips…talk about low tech. one door for the disk sander and the chisels on the outside and the other door showing table saw inserts hanging on its inside. this was for the 500 but those details work for the 510 and 520. Except when I had the Lift Assist before great addition but I had not figured out how to cut a slot for the device to go thru the top shelf and thats all the change needed. I like my casters for making mine mobile and still have foot room to get to the foot levers. Sawdust stays on top.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics