LumberJocks

Nakashima / Krenov Nightstand

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Matthew updated 11-16-2014 11:57 PM 9 parts 19836 reads 11 comments total

Part 1: Intro

10-31-2014 09:17 PM by Matthew | 0 comments »

Ok Jocks, this blog series will cover a nightstand I am building based on a Krenov display cabinet (for the inside) and Nkashima’s “Rose's Night Stand”. The design is mostly in my head, so I dont have any formal drawings or a sketchup file, but the overall dimensions will be 14”D x 16”W x 27”H. Here is a picture of the inspiration.. And the inside of the Nightstand will have a shelf and 3 drawers. The case will be made with mitered edge dovetails, an...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Case Construction

10-31-2014 10:56 PM by Matthew | 2 comments »

Alright, lets get started. The goal today was to get the case dry fit, and that means cutting the mitered edge dovetails. here is what the goal is: The point of this joint is to get a nice through dovetail, without the butt joint in the front. I want the nightstand to be mitered on both the front and back of the case, so we have 16 miters to cut. We’ll start with our panels glued up, flattened and cut to final size: Now, with a marking gauge set for the panel thickness...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Back Panel and Dust Frame

11-01-2014 08:26 PM by Matthew | 1 comment »

So far I have covered the basic case construction. Next we need to add the back panel and make the dust frame (or web frame) for the drawer. This will also serve as the installation point for the upper knife hinge. So, I started by gluing up a 1/4” panel of Sapele for the back, using the router bit as a guide for the final thickness. Next, we can cut the groove in the case pieces to accept the panel. I am using a 1/4” straight bit and cutting 3/16” deep. We don’t...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Krenov Style Interior

11-02-2014 09:41 PM by Matthew | 1 comment »

A big challenge of this project has been sequencing. Last post i thought the next step would be to tackle the door and knife hinges, but I think I got ahead of my self. First, I needed to make the Krenov Style Shelf on the inside. I’ll be making this out of walnut, so I prepared the stock. Then I need to rout 3 stopped dadoes on the case bottom and sides to house the shelf. Notice that the bottom groove is not quite centered and the side grooves are at different heights. The t...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Drawers and Door Part 1

11-05-2014 12:34 AM by Matthew | 2 comments »

It was one of those days in the shop… I was sorely tempted to leave today out of this blog, but I have decided on full disclosure. I don’t want to give the impression that this project is perfect, and I will admit that this is the most challenging project I have done to date, as I intended it to be. So here goes. I had milled up the boards for the rails and stiles of the frame and panel door, only to find them warped and twisted when I returned. I haven’t had this issu...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Drawers and Door Part 2

11-06-2014 10:34 PM by Matthew | 1 comment »

The goal today was to get the main drawer finished and to hang the frame an panel door. First, I finished preparing the drawer back, panel, and sanded to 220 for the inside parts. Then on to glue up. But Wait! The drawer face was initially fitted to be tight in the opening… BUT… the pins on the drawer front were proud of the drawer sides (tail boards), meaning to get a flush fit, I had to take material off the edge of the drawer front, ruining the fit, and leaving me ...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Inside Drawers

11-10-2014 11:43 PM by Matthew | 0 comments »

It’s been a few days, so I’m now nearing the end of this project. On today’s list was to get the interior drawers made up. So first, I had to prepare the stock for the drawer “case” and “runners”. I went with Sapele for these to continue the contrast between the walnut and sapele. There’s four drawers all together, the top two are 2 1/2” and the bottom two are 3”. The drawers are going to mimic the main drawer of the cabinet...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Base and Finishing Touches Part 1

11-11-2014 12:09 AM by Matthew | 1 comment »

With the drawers done, its on to the small things. First, I have made a decision on the pulls. George Nakashima on his “Rose’s Night Stand” after which my project took, uses some sort of natural edge wood block. Not to engage in blasphemy, (sorry George) in my opinion, this pull looks a bit chunky to me. I liked the idea though, and have decided to use some Redwood Burl pen blanks for pulls. Here’s a tease… But, more on that in the next post. Also, I...

Read this entry »


Part 9: Finished

11-16-2014 11:57 PM by Matthew | 3 comments »

Got the last coat of finish on the nightstand, and now it’s done! About the finishing process. I sanded everything to 220 and then applied General Finishes Seal-a-Cell. Then I applied three coats of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal (semi gloss). I sanded with 400 grit paper between coats.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com