YAWB - Yet Another Workbench (Or My Take on the Ultimate Tool Stand) #3: Carcass

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by mrhammerstein posted 04-01-2016 08:40 PM 2018 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Torsion Box Part 3 of YAWB - Yet Another Workbench (Or My Take on the Ultimate Tool Stand) series Part 4: Carcass Finish & First (Unofficial) Use »

Long break, but I do have some updates thankfully.

So here’s what I’ll be building in this part.



After the torsion box, it was time to start the carcass. As mentioned before, I went with plywood over MDF out of preference and aesthetics. There isn’t great plywood to be had where I live, but I found a respectable lumber yard with cheaper (and better) plywood than the big box stores. It’s 11-ply, but still has some voids. It’s a good compromise for me.

First part was to put the base down on the torsion box allowing for overhang so I can wrap the MDF torsion box with plywood for a uniform look.

Time to build the dividers. Simple enough, but I added a back cleat to strengthen the carcass. I notched out the dividers. Not pretty at first, but after sanding, it was smooth and a good fit.

Some of the dividers were doubled up for strength and everything was glued up together and clamped. I need more clamps. Don’t we all?

I started marking out locations for all the dividers. I used biscuits more for alignment than added strength. I also got a biscuit jointer for Christmas, so I might as well use it. I cut all the slots, dry fit for accuracy, and moved on to setting the dividers.

I decided to create some 4” cubby holes on both sides of the bench. I’ll make a shelf on one side and a ledge for the smaller clamps. I made up the two ends and set them first. It’s starting to look like a workbench, not a giant skateboard.

I did add pocket screws on the bottom to suck in the plywood while waiting to add the top. I hid the screws on the insides where drawers ultimately will go.

The rest of the dividers were glued and screwed. The top was added and the whole thing was flipped so the weight of the torsion box did the work of clamps. That box was heavy. Crap was it heavy.

After flipping it back up right (I won’t be trying to flip it again), I went ahead and filled in voids and started sanding it smooth. Filling the voids wasn’t necessary and I didn’t do it again. Maybe I got bored. I added the back cleat. It’s blurry, but you can see the back cleat in this photo.

I added a shelf to one of the cubby holes and carcass is done! I immediately was happy with it. It’s not the best craftsmanship, but I’m not there myself. But I continued to learn basic principles and get better with practice. And my first shot at biscuits worked out well. Watching Norm for so many years finally paid off! One last shot of the upright carcass. Even took the opportunity to place the miter saw on top and get it off the floor. Can’t wait to use this beast!

-- Beat it to fit. Paint it to match.

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics