LumberJocks

a 21st century bench with engineered wood #15: dogs and pegged legs

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by metolius posted 06-01-2021 01:12 AM 564 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 14: tool trays Part 15 of a 21st century bench with engineered wood series no next part

Accessorizing with bench dogs and a bit of miscellaneous is the final entry, #15 in this series. Getting it all done after a long road was almost anti-climatic; but the bench has been finished enough to be used and useful for the past six months; a familiar tool before its completion.

I started bench dogs by getting 6 prairie dogs for the vise chops from Lee Valley, they work really well for the blind holes that would otherwise fill with chips. For the other dogs, I started with some hickory cutoffs trimmed to 12cm and dowel’d them to 3/4 inch.

I came out of that with 10 about perfect ; 2 others were so-so but good enough.

I cut the dog faces 1/3 towards the center and made them 3cm tall on a 2 deg forward slant.

Here, the each of the faces are being tuned for true.

I was pretty serious about making wire springs for these, but I uncertain with the gauge and springiness of what I could find. I ended up going to the route of 7mm ball catches . These were installed with a 7/64 (6.8mm) diameter hole and a 3/8 shallow inset.

Here, I double-stuck a wood shim on my press-vise to provide a quick guide to set the ball catch inline with the dog face.

The 3/8 inset provides flat registry for the lip of the ball catches.

To insert the catches I made a magnetic contraption with 1/4 bar and some washers to hold the ball catches. Then the drill press was used to insert like a reloader. I won’t take credit for the idea of using a drill press to press these in, concept came from benchblog.com.

The magnetic hold is a nice additional touch as opposed to trying to hold the catch straight with fingers or a needle nose during the initial press.

I also wanted a peg on the leg to keep the bench brush nearby. I shopped briefly for a supplier with hickory shaker pegs on the market, but found none, just maple, oak, birch and “hardwood” (poplar?). I wanted hickory because this bench otherwise consists of only plywood and hickory.

A bit of research got my interest in a traditional wine-bottle shape. I haven’t seen these in wood parts bins before. Perhaps because it would require an additional pair of knives in the production lathe.

What I believe to be close to true to wine-bottle shape.

After sketching this out and double-sticking it to some hardboard for a template, I got back to the lathe.

Finished only with wax; 3 pegs for 3 legs. The leg by the V-twin won’t get a peg, that would just be hiding it.

To get a tight fit, I wedged the peg tenon and hammered it home with a little glue.

... a brush’s new home …

Back to the dogs, one of these dogs got the short end of the stick. It had to be truncated to stay out of the way of the end-vise hardware on the underside of the bench.

I turned two large headed bench dogs. I will call them fist-dogs. I intended they may have purpose on the end-vise’s side dog hole. The prairie dogs only pop up 3/8 inch, so maybe these could be useful on the top of the bench sometime. The prairie dogs simply pull out if you need them to be. Meanwhile, they will likely live on the side of the bench or lie about in a tool tray.

Not much more to say.

That’s about all for this bench blog series now.

-- derek / oregon



1 comment so far

View metolius's profile

metolius

430 posts in 1888 days


#1 posted 06-04-2021 10:54 PM

Pictures of better resolution are on the project completion posting:
https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/420025

-- derek / oregon

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com