LumberJocks

A Pekovich tea box #3: base and clasp

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by metolius posted 12-20-2018 07:46 PM 498 reads 1 time favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: ~ Part 3 of A Pekovich tea box series Part 4: near the last chicane »

The base and and clasp are simple segments of 1/2×5/8 wenge.

The 2 parts of the clasp are drawn together with 2 pairs of neodymium magnets. In the FW article, Pekovich used 1/4 dia magnets, but I could only find 8mm. They are inset under a thin veneer within 21/64 holes. Lengthwise holes are drilled for a cord. After glue dried, I let the magnets naturally align to each other then clamped them in this position to flush the faces with a block plane.

Dados for the base pedestal were managed by the router sled with the help of a kerf maker.

The cord to use has been an issue. Pekovich used hemp rope, but I have no resource for that. With deadlines arising, I chose to try braiding jute twine.

Its hairy stuff. The coils on the left and right are both jute twine braids. For the rightmost I tried pre-waxing the twine with briwax, to control the hairy fibers. It did the job, but the texture and timbre was also lost.

I decided to use it raw and burn off the excessive hairs. For what it is, its a pretty close replicant to the aesthetic.

Thinking of the kerf maker. I make new ones once in a while so that I always have a spare that doesn’t yet have the kerf width cut. Starting with one piece of scrap, I partition it on the bandsaw then reassemble it like a bandsaw box. Not much effort, and not something I’ve seen described elsewhere .. maybe I’ll step through that in this forum.

-- derek / oregon



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com