LumberJocks

House Projects #5: Sun Room Work - Starts up in Earnest

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by littlecope posted 07-05-2021 06:32 PM 1068 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Musical Windows and Another Sister in Hot Water... Part 5 of House Projects series Part 6: Sun Room Work - Progress Report »

Been nibbling and pawing at our little “Sun Room” since we moved in to our Home over six years ago…
Changed the overhead light, peeled half the room of it’s old layers of wallpaper, added, moved and re-moved shelves, tried various configurations of different furniture…
The Room is the laundry area and rear entrance way to the house and the rug shows it. It is in my mind to remove the rug and add some sort of vinyl flooring… and that’s where the Fun begins…
It is, of course, of no use to install flooring until the actual shape of a room is established… Here, is how the Room looked in mid-May, while re-positioning our laundry shelf…

That closet is useful, but over-large, occupying too much space in the small room… No part of those walls are structural, some decisions were made, so thus…

The very corner of that closet area had a sort of half-in, half-out arrangement which was not exceptionally useful. The outside/top was too far behind the dryer to reach comfortably, while the bottom/inside section was okay for a Winter AC garage, but was like crawling into a cave!
Dismantling was done here rather than destruction, pulling all the nails and screws as I went… The price of materials being what they are, I’ll re-use some of the lumber, maybe even some of the larger scraps of drywall, already have re-used some of the screws…
After a few sessions of this, we find ourselves here…

You can see, some of the 2×4’s were used to frame the corner… A much smaller Broom Closet was made, out of a large, wooden shipping crate I had salvaged from work…

There was a live, open wire in the ceiling of the old closet… This was carefully re-positioned and a “tunnel” was drilled for it…

This was then applied to a much-needed outside Outlet…

I want to add a switch on the circuit as well, so it isn’t as yet wired permanently, but it is live and usable now…

The last step, of this little reno- project, is to add a twin of the existing window where the closet used to be and to make it an even sunnier Sun Room…

An order has been placed, and a new window is being constructed for us same size as the old one… Delivery is predicted to be about 7 weeks, so I have some time to take care of other details in the room in the meanwhile…
Thanks for reading, comments are always welcome and appreciated! :)

5 July 2021

-- Mike in Concord, NH---Unpleasant tasks are simply worthy challenges to improve skills.



4 comments so far

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

1721 posts in 4771 days


#1 posted 07-05-2021 09:34 PM

Mike Holmes has nothing on you Mike! Great job all around and in particular, for wisely utilizing the available live wire.

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

View lew's profile

lew

13427 posts in 4999 days


#2 posted 07-05-2021 11:09 PM

Lookin’ Good, Mike! You always wonder what you’ll uncover when you start one of these projects. Looking forward to following this adventure!

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

22410 posts in 4920 days


#3 posted 07-06-2021 04:37 PM

Nice improvement Mike. Good to see you out and about ;-) I was going to redo our deck this year but the price of lumber went 3x and arthur in my shoulder says hold off too ;-(

-- Bob in WW ~ "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

View littlecope's profile

littlecope

3132 posts in 4746 days


#4 posted 07-06-2021 09:19 PM

Thanks Guys!
Lenny: That’s very kind of you to say, but Mike H. would have had this all done weeks ago! That wire sure made it easy to install the outlet… I’ve needed one of those several times for Power Tools, and some year, we might want to put out some lights for Christmas… That’s why I’d like a switch on it…
Lew: So far there haven’t been any real surprises, No Bugs or Mice or anything (except for a large, fortunately vacated hornet’s nest…)
Looking under the ceiling insulation I did determine that the whole ceiling is an early dropped type… The “Original” is the fairly typical New England Wainscotting…

I am not at this time going to uncover and expose that, but it is something to remember, if I’m ever inclined to do this room again…
Topo/Bob: Nice to hear from you as well Robert! This is actually a sweeping project of the entire rear entrance of the House… Going to remove our little deck too, Paint the rear door to match the front, get a new screen door, install a stoop and stair arrangement instead, remove a section of stockade fencing that’s collapsing anyway… I already dug up an old walkway this Spring that was mostly buried pavers and bricks, used them to delineate a border garden around our Properties Fence…

All of the plans back here point to getting the room done first though, then the rest will fall into place…

It’s a good start, but I have a ways to go to be sure, thanks again my Friends

-- Mike in Concord, NH---Unpleasant tasks are simply worthy challenges to improve skills.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com