The Holtzapffel Project #4: My first laminations

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by kem posted 05-19-2008 04:46 AM 3531 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: A shop tour Part 4 of The Holtzapffel Project series Part 5: The workbench top, part I »

I decided to start out with the legs, so I could get more practice milling the lumber and in gluing the pieces up before tackling the top. The idea with the legs is to sandwich a longer board in between two shorter boards to make a ready-made tenon.

leg pieces

Here are all of the pieces for the four legs milled up.

leg pieces

You can see some dark streaks in these pieces. Those are where I ran into sap pockets in the wood. I don’t know if that’s bad or not, but it is annoying.


I think this is my second or third attempt at laminating. My first attempt was a big gluey mess. I used way too much glue and the pieces slid all over the place as I clamped them down. This shot was taken after some clean up. I waited about an hour after clamping and came back with the crappy plane iron that came with my Stanley block plane. It works great for popping off the beads of squeeze-out.


I used all my Bessey clamps for a pair of legs. It’s kind of crazy using 24” and 40” clamps for something that’s under 4 inches thick. After this, I ordered the Jet 12” clamps. This is probably clamping overkill but since the jaws didn’t reach all the way across the 5 inch wide legs, I wanted to clamp on both sides.

After these dried, I cleaned up the edges with the jointer. That’s when this happened:

chip out

This little piece got chipped out. Luckily, I found it on the floor and I can glue it back in later.

Here are the laminated and jointed legs:


One of the legs has non-square sides, so I’ll have to go back and clean that one up. I also think the legs are going to be too tall for me. I’m going to cut them down about an inch. There’s still quite a bit of work to do on these legs: chamfering, smoothing, mortising, and drilling dog holes. But it’s time to move on to the top. Those are the boards for the top underneath the legs. More on that next time!

-- Kevin

4 comments so far

View GaryK's profile


10262 posts in 5488 days

#1 posted 05-19-2008 04:59 AM

That’s the way I made the base for my bench:

Click for details

It’s nice as the mortise and tenons make themselves! Great job so far.

-- Gary - Never pass up the opportunity to make a mistake look like you planned it that way - Tyler, TX

View Scott Bryan's profile

Scott Bryan

27248 posts in 5321 days

#2 posted 05-19-2008 11:52 AM

This is a pretty good start on the bench. With those legs the bench is going to be really solid.

-- Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful- Joshua Marine

View teenagewoodworker's profile


2727 posts in 5267 days

#3 posted 05-19-2008 12:31 PM

you’ve got a nice start. look forward to more.

View SPalm's profile


5338 posts in 5381 days

#4 posted 05-19-2008 02:34 PM

Looking good. I love a bench blog. These puppies are really a lot of work. Looks like your glue-ups ended up pretty fine. It is nice hearing about the frustrations also. Keep it comming.


-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics