Yet Another Craftsman 113 Saw Blog #7: Getting there

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by jonlruss posted 07-11-2016 06:22 PM 1286 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 6: Back to work Part 7 of Yet Another Craftsman 113 Saw Blog series Part 8: A little further »

Was able to get quite a bit done this weekend. I had most of the parts already cut from last weekend so this weekend was mostly assembling and painting.

This is the mobile base that was already done.

Saturday everything was moving along pretty smoothly in spite of the heat. For the sake of working space and air circulation, I moved out to the driveway and set up a canopy. I thought I was going to make it further, but late in the afternoon, I was inside taking a cooling off break when I heard thunder. I had no idea there was even a slim chance of rain, so I headed outside and it was definitely coming. I thought about leaving everything and hoping for the best, but decided I’d better call it instead. I got everything back in the garage and took down the canopy. As it turned out, I probably could’ve kept working as it never rained hard, it was just steady. I thought it was still a decent day’s work though.

During the night the rain stopped so Sunday morning we were back to just hot, but much more humid of course. Moved out to the driveway again and got the other big vertical piece attached, then painted.

I ended up taking a lot more breaks on Sunday. Like I said, the humidity was higher, and I’d really pushed a little harder on Saturday than I’d thought. I stayed well hydrated, but the heat just sucks it out of you after a while. Near the end of the day I was at a point I could move the saw onto the new stand. I needed to check the fit for everything. This also gave me a chance to finally see what was going on with the old base. Sure enough, the front had collapsed just as I’d thought. I’m still not exactly sure why it happened the way it did. I wasn’t putting extra pressure or weight on it. I guess it was just it’s time to go.

By the end of the day I had most of it assembled. The saw needs to come back off of it as I need to make a couple of adjustments on the stand and paint. The area right below the saw is for dust collection and will have a hose connection on the back. Below that is going to be a drawer for blades and jigs for the saw. To the right will be a couple of smaller drawers to hold some of my other power tools. At the end on the right will be a bank of drawers with a downdraft table above. To the left of the saw will be the router station. With a large drawer below to hold my routers. You can see the old base to the left which gives a small idea of the size difference between the two. In the background on the right is the frame for the router top and the box for the downdraft table. SWMBO is gone this week so I’m going to try and work in the evenings to get done before she comes home. This has been quite the project and required more brain wracking than I thought it would. It’ll be totally worth it in the end though. Already moving it around has been so much easier than the old base, even before it collapsed. One thing I did notice though was when I was moving it back into the garage, I kind of high centered on the transition from the slope of the driveway to the floor of the garage. I think I’ll add a couple of smaller fixed wheels in the center of base on the front and back that will be up high enough to only be usable when going over that hump.

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics