LumberJocks

Building a Cherry Queen Bed

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by jonah updated 05-09-2017 12:18 AM 5 parts 9197 reads 16 comments total

Part 1: Design Evolutions and Finalization

06-17-2016 06:46 PM by jonah | 1 comment »

I started designing this bed quite a long time ago. Originally, it was a more arts-and-crafts style, but my wife didn’t like the style and asked if I could make some changes. After looking at the bed Marc Spagnolo recently made we made some more changes and ended up with this design: Essentially the headboard is a set of two frame-and-panel sections with rails set in the groove that the panel is in. We spent some time at a local plywood dealer looking over exotics and veneers and...

Read this entry »


Part 2: The Footboard

06-18-2016 04:43 PM by jonah | 2 comments »

I started with what I was sure was going to be the easiest part of the bed: the footboard. It’s pretty simple: two ~18” high 3 1/4” square posts with a taper on two sides and a ~58” rail. After milling the parts, I laid out the mortises for the rail and made 3/4” wide, deep (1”) mortises to ensure the assembly is as strong as I can make it. I made the mortises with a router and the tenons on the table saw, as normal. Nothing major to report there. I did ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: The Headboard

06-28-2016 11:19 AM by jonah | 6 comments »

I started on the headboard, naturally, with milling (and milling, and milling) the various parts down to just larger than their final size. I neglected to take a picture of my wood pile before I started, so you’ll have to use your imagination and picture this pile about eight boards high by two across. This picture is after I got done with the headboard pieces: I had to get parts for the two posts, a bottom rail, and an upper and lower rail for the panels at the top of the headbo...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Side Rails, Center Rail, and Slats

07-05-2016 05:21 PM by jonah | 6 comments »

After getting the headboard finished, I started on the side rails. I’d been thinking throughout the process about a way to get the mortises for the hardware into the end of the side rails, and I hadn’t come up with anything. I was trying to avoid routing sideways, which seemed absurdly dangerous, difficult, and generally a Bad Idea with my heavy router. If I had one of those lighter compact plunge routers I might have considered it, but my Ridgid router weighs a heck of a lot and ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Finished the Bed and Lessons Learned

05-09-2017 12:18 AM by jonah | 1 comment »

I actually finished the bed last June/July, but forgot to take final pictures of it for a while, then forgot to write up the blog post capping off the project as well. Here’s the bed now (pardon the mess). On the whole, I’m very happy with it. The sanding and finishing of the parts went fine. I masked off the joinery and finished the parts separately, which was great. I’d never done that before but I’m definitely doing that every time I have a project of any sub...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com