Building my version of the Essential Tool Chest #5: Drawers

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by johnstoneb posted 03-06-2015 01:54 AM 2932 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Lid is finished Part 5 of Building my version of the Essential Tool Chest series Part 6: Glueup »

Yesterday and today were relatively productive for the most part. I got the dovetails cut on the three drawers. I cut these with a PC 4200 series dovetail jig. The front is attached with halfblind dovetails. These are usually the easiest to setup and cut but for some reason I had a hard time setting things up. and when I cut them two came out tighter than I like two were right on and two were a little loose. I don’t know why nothing moved. The through dovetails on the rear of the drawer were a different story altogether. I set everything up cut the tails. turned the plate around for pins, adjusted the plate for what I thought would give me a tight joint. set the depth on the router cut my scrap piece it fit perfectly best dovetails I have ever cut on that jig. Put the drawer backs in cut the pins and they all fit perfectly.

This morning I set up my router table to cut the dados for the drawer bottoms. Cut the sides on the first drawer everything good picked up the back. In the three steps from bench to router table I turne the drawer back around and cut the dado on the wrong side. I figured out how to repair that cut the rest of the dados correctly cut and fit the drawer bottoms. The drawers are looking good.

Time to fit the locks. These are half mortise locks and FWW has an article on building jigs cut the mortises. I spent awhile making the jigs and started working on the installation. The first thing you do is find the center of the drawer front and drill and chisel out the keyhole. I got the first drawer front measured marked cednter measured from other side 1/16” difference split the difference remeasured and drilled the holes. picked tup the second drawer front measured measurements aren’t the same as the first. The first drawer front was remeasured the key hole is off 1 inch. Drilled the two drawers correctly and put on the nest jig routed out for the lock housing. Next jig routed out for the lock edges. Because of the length of my pattern bit I had to cut the top inset rabbet by hand that went well and I have locks ready to be installed in two drawers

Tomorrow I will make another drawer this is the same drawer I cut the dado in wrong and that repair showed more than I wanted. I’ll just bite the bullet and make a better drawer.

-- Bruce, Boise, ID

3 comments so far

View Tugboater78's profile


2788 posts in 2795 days

#1 posted 03-06-2015 05:27 AM

Iys coming together nicely!

-- "....put that handsaw to work and make it earn its keep. - summerfi" <==< JuStiN >==>=->

View Dutchy's profile


3508 posts in 2771 days

#2 posted 03-06-2015 08:08 AM

I’ve heard that the difference between an average woodworker and an excellent woodworker is his ability to hide his mistakes and accidents.


View johnstoneb's profile


3131 posts in 2776 days

#3 posted 03-06-2015 02:44 PM

Unfortunately the hole is drilled in a blotch of different color and I haven’t any thing even close to match it. I’m going to have to be average in this case.

-- Bruce, Boise, ID

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics