LumberJocks

Garage Cabinets

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by John Lowell updated 12-23-2014 12:38 AM 8 parts 26592 reads 14 comments total

Part 1: Dumb, dumb dumb.

07-30-2013 01:54 AM by John Lowell | 5 comments »

Dumb, dumb, dumb. If there ever was a hard way, am sure I can find it. Stared cleaning up the garage, and noted the ski rack was mostly space. Hey, I can take that down, and add dowles doubling the capacity. OK, can do that, but to make room, need to clean out the corner and look at that shelving unit on the floor in the corner. Hey, that shelving unit could be hung up on the short wall, and leave plenty of room for the skis. Whoops, no shelves, OK, just need to make some. That...

Read this entry »


Part 2: 1/2 year later

12-28-2013 02:00 PM by John Lowell | 1 comment »

Been a bit sidetracked, but this holiday am back on the cabinet job! Hey, only 150ish days. Did get some other things done, some Christmas gifts, did finish one base cabinet, stool, and a few other odd pens. Ran out of material for the doors, but may hang first, will see how energetic I feel today. I should mention that cutting with the good blade made a huge difference in the result. Well, next image didn’t load, and the first is 90 deg out, oh well, won’t finish t...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Hung, errors and happy new year!

01-01-2014 02:51 PM by John Lowell | 1 comment »

Well, we hung the first four without many problems except for two. 1) striped the square drive head on a couple of 2.5” cabinet screws. I used the largest drive bit I had, but there must be a slightly larger one out there. Oh well, will live with it. 2) one cabinet had the base about 1/16” wider than the others. This has created a slight overhang (top cab) to what should be a flush side. I plan to build 4more, so will either need to shim out the next one, or think abo...

Read this entry »


Part 4: another 6 months - but hung a few more

06-23-2014 08:07 PM by John Lowell | 0 comments »

Waited until I got into a cabinet mood, and then a few weekends. Finished up four more large, with doors and one or two shelves each. If you read the prior post and noted the error, I placed a gap to store step ladders, but had so many folding chairs, installed a shelf between the cabinets and now the space is for short ladders, and chairs. After cutting all the doors, figured I had enough for some short hanging versions, about 11.5 in wide. With the scrap, built the two hanging v...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Scrap use in basement shop

06-23-2014 08:15 PM by John Lowell | 1 comment »

Trying again, here are the three 24” boxes, with a few shelves – used up all the longer pieces, but may be able to put together a few bins with the remainder. The three small shelves are in the shop. Here is the wide view of the garage now, will build a third hanging for the remaining space, then on to lower cabs and a small garage bench. May take another 6 months, but am motivated to finish now…. cheers

Read this entry »


Part 6: Started with the lowers

08-05-2014 12:24 AM by John Lowell | 1 comment »

Another few weeks, or months, put together a few lower units. Once the three were in, I cut out the custom narrow unit behind the door. A bit messy, and assembled the mirror version only noted when attempting to install. Ended up cutting the three low bins off and shifted over, oh well. The foundation sticks out 3.5 in behind everything that caused the problem. Have not attached the top this weekend, but started cutting them out. I found the metal bins at Costco for 18 bucks for two, wi...

Read this entry »


Part 7: workbench fronts and top

08-23-2014 10:23 PM by John Lowell | 3 comments »

another weekend, and working on the garage, again. Cut, shaped and edged the 3/4 in ply first layer, then cut and shaped the 3/4 top layer. Used small sheet, hence the three parts and mismatched backsplash. Also mounted the cab doors and drawer fronts. Need to do a better job on the drawer fronts, just have not figured out how. I tried dbl stick tape, but the drawer was slightly inside the cab so not enough pressure to stick. Oh well, slightly different spacing but it is in the garage. ...

Read this entry »


Part 8: French cleat system

12-23-2014 12:38 AM by John Lowell | 2 comments »

Used one sheet of 1/2 in ply to build two sections of a French cleat system. Then scrap ply for various hangers, none custom, but generic mix of holders, thought it would be quicker and take less thought. A snap of the under cabinet one, will install this week with the last cabinet. Ran out of 1/4 in dowel, always something.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com