Boston Red Sox Marquetry Hanging #2: Getting more baseball-like

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by jmartel posted 06-27-2014 07:28 AM 1812 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Design, and first night's progress Part 2 of Boston Red Sox Marquetry Hanging series Part 3: Just keeps getting bigger and bigger »

Another day, another late night posting it seems. Going to keep this one short since it’s late and I have to get up in about 5 hours. I was only able to put in about another 2 hours on this, since my wife and I went kayaking after work and got home later.

Tonight I added the white patches to the socks at the toes and the heels. This went fairly smoothly, though on a few of them the small red area below the inlay cracked and had to be put back in place.

Once I finished with that, I needed to move onto the seams on the baseball. I cut some wenge strips that are approximately 3/32” wide and inlayed them into the white background.

Once I finished with that, I moved onto the stitching. I had originally planned on making the stitches out of Bloodwood, but it is just taking way too long to cut the bloodwood veneer and it cracks much easier on small pieces, so I decided to keep the “black” wenge instead.

Now it’s starting to look like a baseball. This is where I left off tonight. Tomorrow will be finishing out the stitching, adding a wenge border, and working on the outer circles.

-- The quality of one's woodworking is directly related to the amount of flannel worn.

1 comment so far

View stefang's profile


16740 posts in 3844 days

#1 posted 06-27-2014 08:47 PM

Looks great so far, keep the good work.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics