391challenge pen

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by jeffthewoodwacker updated 05-24-2009 11:54 PM 4 parts 4563 reads 19 comments total

Part 1: Challenge 391 pen

05-21-2009 12:31 AM by jeffthewoodwacker | 5 comments »

During Tim’s round three of the pen swap Karson put in several blanks of cherry burl and offered up a challenge to all lumberjocks to turn a pen from the cherry burl blank and post the results. When the pen trade box made it’s way to the west coast Steve threw in several spalted willow blanks and offered another challenge to all lumberjocks to turn a pen from his blanks. I posted the pen that I turned from Steves spalted willow blanks in the projects section, but in case you mis...

Read this entry »

Part 2: cut, drilled and tubes glued in!

05-22-2009 01:49 AM by jeffthewoodwacker | 5 comments »

This morning I inspected the 391 challenge cherry burl blanks. After taking the duct tape off of the piece that had gnarly voids it appeared that the turquoise inlace material had filled all the gaps and was hard as a rock. I am going to turn a modified slimline pen and had to drill 7 mm holes for the brass tubes. My pen vise will not work on these blanks as they are odd shaped and I want to get a hole that is close to center. A home made jig worked perfect to drill both bla...

Read this entry »

Part 3: Heading towards the finish line

05-24-2009 07:11 PM by jeffthewoodwacker | 5 comments »

I got up bright and early today (okay I was up early but not so bright!) and decided to give the challenge391 cherry burl pen blank that Karson included in round 3 of the Pen Trade box. Got it all mounted up on the pen mandrall and now Karson will take a trip at 3000 rpm. I anticipated that there would be some more voids in the burl as I turned it down to size and saved all the shavings to fill in any small voids, cracks or holes. Here the pen blank is turned part way down and there ...

Read this entry »

Part 4: It's Done!!!

05-24-2009 11:54 PM by jeffthewoodwacker | 4 comments »

Took a little break and then went back to the shop to finish up the 391challenge cherry burl pen. Here we go right off the mandrall and ready to assemble. Challenge391 cherry burl pen assembled. Top is a piece of spalted willow from Steve that I glued onto part of the cherry burl blank from Karson – east meets west! Bottom is the rest of the cherry burl that I stabilized with inlace. I wanted...

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics