LumberJocks

Credenza / Entertainment Center #4: bottom panel

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by jamsomito posted 03-28-2021 08:54 PM 340 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Top Part 4 of Credenza / Entertainment Center series Part 5: project from HECK #1 - pre-finishing »

I couldn’t quite figure out the best way to do the bottom panel, but I eventually decided to notch the plywood panel around the legs instead of notching the legs or some other joinery method. In retrospect I should have made the bottom trim thicker to meet the inside corner of the legs – that way I could have just made a rectangle. But this seemed to work ok.

First I cut the panel to size.

I couldn’t test fit it because the corners interfered with the legs. So I had to figure out a way to notch around them. Problem is, because of the dowel joinery on the frame, every joint is unique. I couldn’t just set up a jig or run it through the table saw with a stop – not to mention running this long piece vertically would be a challenge if not dangerous.

Time to make use of some new tools :) Got this marking gauge for trying my hand at dovetails, but there have been several situations in the past where I’ve wanted one for some other miscellaneous task. Glad I finally pulled the trigger as it came in pretty handy here.

I didn’t take any pictures, but I cut this with my dovetail saw and it worked pretty well. Did a test fit – slightly too big, darn.

Luckily, ripping it down was pretty easy, and a quick adjustment of the notches on one side made for a good fit.

To simulate the fit after glue-up I added some clamps. Seems to be the perfect size all around.

In projects past I’ve cut a 3/4×3/4 strip of oak and supported the shelf underneath with it – screwed into the back of the stretcher rails and then up into the underside of the panel. I don’t think I can do that here because of the curve on the front stretcher. So, looks like this will have to be pocket-holed in. Sounds like a plan though.

Next up I figured I’d finish everything. My last project had glue squeeze-out issues with all the dowels and I didn’t want to repeat that. I took a piece of scrap and made a color test with a coat of arm-r-seal finish. Got it approved, so moved on to the next step.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com