LumberJocks

icoastergons #3: holder box

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by jamsomito posted 03-10-2021 03:50 PM 421 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: kicking it up a notch Part 3 of icoastergons series no next part

Now I needed something to hold these all together so I set out to make a simple box. I took out another 3/4 board, resawed, and planed down to a little over a quarter inch again. Cut out some squares and made some simple rabbets for registration. Left enough room for each coaster to have little rubber feet on the bottom.

The bottom was a rectangle sized appropriately with rabbets all the way around to fit up inside the box like a lid. Then I glued everything together.

When it was all set up, I thought it looked a little too basic and maybe a bit too hard to grab a coaster out of, so I cut an angle off the top at the miter saw really quick and liked the decision. Then I sanded it all down and tried a new Whiteside 1/16” roundover bit. The bit was okay, maybe I’ll leave a review of it after I use it some more. The bushing instead of a bearing left some marks, and it still left some grooves just like it’s bigger 1/8” roundover bearing-ed brother.

I have to say though I’m really pleased with how this simple quick little box turned out!

Put on my first coat of finish this morning (rattle can water poly) – hoping to apply 3 coats to both sides today while the weather is in the 60’s still – going to snow again next week. Bah. I’ll post it as a project when everything is said and done :)



2 comments so far

View jamsomito's profile

jamsomito

700 posts in 1717 days


#1 posted 03-11-2021 03:00 AM

Gotta be happy with that finish!! I might have found my new go-to finish. This is 5 coats of rattle can water poly (satin). Love the look, done in a day, no rags, super easy.

I love the look of a good flat/satin water-based polyurethane. Sometimes I want more amber tone, this obviously isn’t for that, and probably expensive for bigger projects. Perhaps there’s an HVLP in my future :)

View jamsomito's profile

jamsomito

700 posts in 1717 days


#2 posted 03-11-2021 06:39 PM

Once it was all dry and let sit overnight, I buffed everything with a brown paper bag and stuck on some rubber feet. I used 5 feet per coaster, like an office chair, for best stability. They were also easy to place – with 20 sides, 5 feet makes for one every 4 edge segments. With the added thickness, they fit perfectly in the holder :)

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com