LumberJocks

Credenza / Entertainment Center #3: Top

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by jamsomito posted 07-26-2020 02:36 PM 222 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Rails and mission slats Part 3 of Credenza / Entertainment Center series no next part

Well it appears there is a new adventure every step of the way! Yesterday my goal was to make a top. It was to have a mitered frame around a center panel, so plywood it was. I had already done the exact same thing on another project so I could see the steps before me. I posted that project here: https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/379041

Tongue and groove trim, mitered corners. No big deal, right? Haha.

First I cut my trim to exact width. No tongue. Shoot, guess I’ll cut my plywood panel big and make the grooves on the trim and tongue on the panel.

So I cut out the panel. Left my inch and a half for 2×3/4” tongues on the long sides. Cut the length exactly to length, no tongue. Shoot. Needed to figure out a flush joint. Decided on DowelMax again.

Dowelmax worked perfect! I’m consistently amazed at the precision this tool brings to the table (no pun intended). Miters cut exactly to length, the piece located perfectly first try, no slop. Really impressed!

Glue up was a challenge. Decided to glue in parts since there was no play in the short pieces due to the dowels. Worked like a charm.

Then the trouble started. The long tongue and grooves had no horizontal registration, and I found out pretty quick there was NO moving this thing laterally once glue was on and the piece slid on over the tongue. First piece left some gaps :(. Workable, but frustrating.

On the second piece I was more careful, but it still didn’t pull together right the first time. I panicked, thinking of all the ways to fix it. Figured worst case I could lop those trim pieces off and just do dowels on the next piece. Decided to try taking it off before the glue set. It was hot in the shop and the glue was setting fast. No way I could pull it off. So I grabbed some short clamps, tightened them down on the trim pieces as tight as I could, grabbed a scrap and a hammer and wailed on the clamps to dislodge the joint. It actually worked and came off without breaking. I slid it on a second time being extra careful and I’m happy to say this time it went together almost perfectly. I’m much happier with this side than the last.

So, mini-heart attack aside, this was a good learning opportunity. My next mitered frame panel will all be done with the dowelmax. It’s just so easy and accurate!

Anyway, after some cleanup I’ll be really happy with this panel. It was a journey though!



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com