Steve Ramsey's chess board #7: Drawers made a lot of hand sanding to be done

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Jake posted 01-06-2014 08:45 AM 1765 reads 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 6: Getting close to the finish line Part 7 of Steve Ramsey's chess board series Part 8: Surface coating in progress »

Just a short post with some pictures on where I am at. I am right on schedule with what I planned in my last entry:

Top and bottom rounded over, this really made a world of difference in appearance, now it looks a lot more professional:

Glueing up the sides, that was somewhat difficult, they did not line up perfectly even after some planing and handleing. To be honest i did not worry about it a lot, just because I don’t know about the moisture content of the wood or of my shop so probably the wood will shift once it gets to my father, so I will have to adjust the legs at some point any way.

Dry fit with top, and drawer fronts. Can’t wait to glue up the top and start finishing!
(Notice the lovely pine slabs in the back, about 22” width, altogether probably like 20-23 bf of them, 2” thick. I will make something ncie from them once I get my kitchen done.

Inside view, dry fit:

What I have in line for today:
1. Add drawer guides, the drawers are quite a snug fit, so I need to make guides inside, so it moves more easily.
2. handsanding all the gluemarks, I did wipe them with a rag, but i did not get rid of them all.
3. Handsanding the roundover on top and bottom
4. Glue up of top and bottom
5. Cleaning of shop, trying to get all of the dust off, so I can go in with a vaccum tomorrow to make it dust free for coating.

For tomorrow and wednesday:
1. Last sanding of sides and final sanding of top to 400 grit.
2. First coat of laquer (Managed to score some semi gloss laquer that is fast drying (30 min to an hour) but as I understand it is toxic as hell, so i will have to be careful with all the safety equipment.
3. Putting on 2-3 coats on sides and so on, on the top I will put on 6-7 coats.

Then I will ahve it cure for 24-48 hours, then off to finish sanding and buffing. next post will be the finished product. :)

I can’t believe I am getting to the end of this project. I am very pleased so far and I am glad I had the audacity to take on this project. I did not have the tools or skills to make this project quickly and exactly as Mr Ramsey did and as many of you guys could do it. But I am extremely satisfied that with my TS, handheld router, handplanes and an orbital sander I have managed to come up with what I have so far.

It has been a great learning experience and I will be mighty pleased if and when I get it finished. At this point I am taking my time with the last steps, I want to make sure I line up the top and bottom perfectly and that I get the finish just right. it does not matter if I get it done by sunday this week or next week, but it matters that it comes out as good as possible.

Thanks for reading, thank you for all the tips and encouragement, I could not have done it without you guys!

-- Measure twice, cut once, cut again for good measure.

2 comments so far

View BTimmons's profile


2303 posts in 3569 days

#1 posted 01-06-2014 10:02 PM

Been following this quietly for a while. Looking pretty great so far!

-- Brian Timmons -

View Jake's profile


850 posts in 2715 days

#2 posted 01-07-2014 05:21 AM

Thanks! Glued up the top and bottom yesterday, can’t wait to get home and sand and prep for finishing. The glue up’s have been somewhat of a mess, always too much glue squeezeout, which ususally is not a big problem. However, with the sides and all pieces sanded to 320 it is a pain to sand teh glue after, so I had to go on and sand eveyrthing to 240 instead of 320 to get the bottom glue squeeze out off.

Tonight it will take me a few hours to get sanding done and then I can start wiuth the first coat of laquer. AWESOME! :)

Also, took time to clean the shop yesterday, took me like 2,5 hours to dust off all of the surfaces. I don’t think I am gonna go over it with a vaccum, just do another sweep today, let the dust settle and start with the finishing.

2 pics from yesterday:
1. was doing the touch up sanding in my livign room because the damn dust I stirred up while dusting the workshop would have killed me and I was sick of the mask for the night.

2. Top clamped in – also, the shop floor is clear-ish finally!!

-- Measure twice, cut once, cut again for good measure.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics