LumberJocks

Cherry Nightstand

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by ilyac updated 11-20-2016 10:42 PM 6 parts 7544 reads 8 comments total

Part 1: Design!

04-19-2016 12:05 AM by ilyac | 1 comment »

So being that this is my first entry into the realm of real furniture making I wanted to make sure I was diligent in my design step. As such I did the whole design in SketchUp first. - I will be making this with a combination of cherry and maple. Maple is just for the side of the drawers to add a little contrast.- The frame is assembled with mortise and tenon joints and the top is going to be laminated with a few pieces. The little panels are going to be solid cherry, even though looking b...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Cutting it down to size

04-19-2016 12:27 AM by ilyac | 0 comments »

So first come the fun part. Picking up the lumber at the local shop, and stapped it in as my co-pilot Next I rough marked all the lumber to try to minimize waste, and cut if all down to rough size. I took all those pieces straightened out the size and planed all the pieces to thickness. This was also the the reason I got a thickness planer, which I have to say, is an amazing addition to the shop. Now I’ve got nice little piles of squared of lumber.

Read this entry »


Part 3: Many Mini Mortises

04-19-2016 12:51 AM by ilyac | 2 comments »

As much as I would love to brag about all my perfectly shaped hand cut mortises, that’s just not going to happen. particularly the perfect part of that. So I decided to cut all the mortises into the legs with a plunge router. I started out with just marking out where all the mortises are going to be, very carefully since that are not centered on the leg (I 100% messed that up on one) Then I made a base for my router with some adjustable guides, that slides along the legs. I also m...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Case Assembly

05-15-2016 06:45 PM by ilyac | 1 comment »

Will all the mortise and tenons done I could start putting the cases together. I started with the front and back, once those were done I put the frame together and then cut the long center divider piece and those matching mortise and tenons, for the sides to fit since my mortise location was not dead on. Between all the dry fits and moving around I noticed that the top mortises were starting to weaken, in retrospect I should have left more material on the top of the piece and it’...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Delayed Drawers

07-17-2016 07:23 PM by ilyac | 2 comments »

So after a bit of delays and figuring out how I was going to do these exactly I finally got done with making and mounting the drawers. A large part of the delay is that this part of the plan was left very much an open question. I did not know if I was going to use drawer slides, hardware slides, under mount, side mount…these are my first drawers so I had no idea what the heck I was doing. I decided to make flush mount drawers with a cherry front and maple sides and back. For t...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Finishing and Hardware

11-20-2016 10:42 PM by ilyac | 2 comments »

My original plan for this project was to follow the process outlined in this article:http://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/tips-for-finishing-cherry. Saving you the read, the steps are 1. Apply dewaxed shellac as a seal coat2. Apply glaze, a cominbation of artists oil and Liquin, for color3. Coat the fully dried glaze with topcoat of poly Seems simple enough, but in my own rush to finish the porject I did not cut my shellac with denatured alcohol, and as such the glaze would not reall...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com