LumberJocks

Dewalt 746 Restoration

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by ihadmail updated 03-06-2017 05:02 AM 8 parts 14312 reads 37 comments total

Part 1: Purchase and initial cleanup

01-24-2017 04:36 AM by ihadmail | 21 comments »

I upgraded from a Dewalt 7491RS job site saw to a neglected 746 today. The saw has had very little use, and subsequently very little care. The photos on the CL add didn’t look this bad, so I hooked onto my trailer and drove two hours to get it. He was asking $400 firm which I thought was steep, but the saw was about the size I wanted for my garage and the sliding table was enticing. Once I could put my hands on the saw I regretted making the drive somewhat. The rust was deeper...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Further cleaning, disassembly and inspection

01-24-2017 08:16 PM by ihadmail | 2 comments »

I was able to get all of the rust off of the table top and sliding table top. The miter slots even cleaned up nicely using only the wire wheel. This image looks so hazy due to all of the rust dust in the garage. Respirator and goggles were a must for all of this cleaning. Up next I removed the rails and sliding table. This was pretty straight forward. Remove a few bolts, lift the sliding table off then finish removing the rails. After this I removed the motor and on/off switc...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Even more cleaning while waiting for parts

02-05-2017 01:35 AM by ihadmail | 2 comments »

I had to order parts from three different suppliers to maximize the amount of OEM items I could get. Two of them are taking their sweet time getting me the parts I ordered. My POR-15 kit arrived yesterday. The free shipping directly from the manufacturer’s website was amazingly fast. The kit includes a cleaner/degreaser, an etching metal prep, and the actual coating. The proper application of everything seems a bit time consuming, and all loose rust must be removed before beginning. ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Final trunion cleaning

02-06-2017 02:47 AM by ihadmail | 3 comments »

I don’t have too much to update today, I spent most of the day working on the large assembly from the trunion. Here’s where I started off this morning. I spent the majority of the day working on this thing. There are so many little crevices and places that were very difficult to get my brush into. I’m finally finished with the pre-coating clean up of the trunions though. Here’s how it looks now. As soon as I can get some more free time I will clean ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Sliding table clean up

02-08-2017 02:26 AM by ihadmail | 2 comments »

I had a few free hours after work today, so I decided to disassemble and start cleaning the underside of the sliding table. This will be another small update. I will need to source new hardware for the slides, all of the nuts and bolts are too rusted for my taste. They all appear to be standard metric fasteners so I don’t think I’ll have much trouble finding them when the time comes for that. The stainless steel heavy duty slides that Dewalt used have held up to the rough life ...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Painted, going back together.

03-04-2017 01:38 AM by ihadmail | 0 comments »

I lost my progress photos showing the POR-15 treatment and the painting of the pieces. I’ve also been slacking on progress as I had to wait forever for my replacement parts. I got all of the painted trunion parts assembled to the table. This was very simple. I wasn’t sure what I was going to use for a lubricant on the adjustments, so I started digging around in the garage. I found some Muc-Off brand dry chain lubricant that was left over from my mountain biking days and ...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Sliding table mounted. Upgrade customization in progress (Bisemeyer fence fits!)

03-05-2017 03:05 AM by ihadmail | 0 comments »

When I was ordering parts for this saw, I found that a broken piece of the fence system was obsolete. As I was racking my brain on how to repair it or what to replace it with a guy posted a new old stock Biesemeyer BC30 fence system on Craigslist for $150. I did some quick research and saw it didn’t fit the Dewalt but at least one person had made it work. I picked the kit up that day. Today I set out to get the sliding table mounted. This sounds simple, but the table mounts on bars t...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Finishing touches

03-06-2017 05:02 AM by ihadmail | 7 comments »

Today I was able to get everything needed for functionality finished on the saw. First up I cut and re-mounted the Bisemeyer system square tube. No more interference here! It’s exactly as long as it needs to be to the right of the table. Then I got the router plate leveled up. The router was extremely fast and easy to install. It’s the model this table was originally made for, a Bosch 1617. After adding the router I had to re-level the plate slightly as expected. I also ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com