Tool gloat: UNISAW! #5: Mobile base, cable holder, and more fence work.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by ic3ss posted 04-18-2011 02:07 AM 4844 reads 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Now I'm on the fence. Part 5 of Tool gloat: UNISAW! series Part 6: Mending fences »

My mobile base arrived last Thursday and I’ve been chomping at the bit to get my work week over so I could put it on the saw. Today it went together pretty easy with one exception: the directions have some problems. If you buy one of these, HTC3000 Heavy Duty base, it tells you that you need a 1/2, a 7/16 and some other wrenches all standard sizes. NOT!!!! This thing is metric through and through. It was a small annoyance but once I realized what was going on, it went together really easy.

I put together two halves of the base first, then I set the saw up on a couple of 2×4s and it left just enough room to slide the two halves under it and connect them with the remaining bars. The directions specify to measure the base of your tool and leave about 1” extra room to allow a wrench to go on the nut inside the base next to the tool.

When I took out the 2×4s and set the full weight on the wheels, I noticed the brackets for the casters flexed a little but not bad. With the two brakes off, I can push this thing around the garage with relative ease now.

I see most people have mobile bases with the two fixed wheels on the front and back of the left side, while the front and back of the right side get the swivel casters. This arrangement didn’t work for me. I want to be able to push the saw up against a wall along the back of the saw for storage. Otherwise I’d have to do a bunch of twisting and turning to get the thing in there.

Although it was only about 50 degrees outside, today was the first sun we’ve had for a while so I took advantage of it and put a second coat of appliance epoxy on the fence. I also scrubbed down the rails with 100 grit sandpaper, then put a first coat on those. Tomorrow should be clear and a little warmer, so I should be able to get the fence painting done this weekend.

I was digging around one of the scrap metal bins at work yesterday and found these. I thought one of them would make a great cable holder to be mounted to the side of the saw.

I decided to go with the larger diameter one. I cut it in half, drilled a hole in the top of both halves and bolted them together. Then took off the motor cover and drilled and bolted the hanger to the cover. Not bad I think.

. . . and the finished product:

So the saw is pretty much done except the fence. I still need to complete the paint job, then mount the glide pads on the front and with it sitting on the rails, I have to get an elevation above the back rail so I can make a foot so the back of the fence will ride on the rail. With the fence able to sit and move on the table, I’ll then mount the fence faces. Thanks again for reading, I hope someone can glean some useful info from all of this.

- Wayne

-- "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bear skins."

2 comments so far

View Ken90712's profile


18099 posts in 4522 days

#1 posted 04-18-2011 02:27 AM

Looking good, Nice!

-- Ken, "Everyday above ground is a good day!"

View Beginningwoodworker's profile


13345 posts in 5006 days

#2 posted 04-19-2011 03:09 PM

I like the way you got it on a mobile base.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics