LumberJocks

Photos and info on 1/8th scale model 5130 #6: Excavator bucket

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by hookfoot posted 11-13-2019 01:23 AM 686 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 5: Photos of house frame. Part 6 of Photos and info on 1/8th scale model 5130 series Part 7: Engine compartment and counterweight. »

To build the bucket I had to buy the canoe bit set for the router. Self explanatory when you see the photos. This is the form I made to construct part of the bucket. Setting on the floor is that part. The wide slat on the bottom left after squaring with the form I screwed it down to build the bucket. The holes were covered later. I do not remember the width of the small slate. I think they were 1/4in by 7/16th. They were edged with the canoe bits in the router. I only glued the amount of pieces that you see in the first set. Gut call, I just felt that was the way to go. It was easy to clamp. After the glue set I scraped the concave part for the shaping. The out side I just used my random orbiter sander. I squared the edges with my miter chop saw. The ends were glued to the end grain which I reinforced with a small bevel strip that I made to fit the inside contour of the bucket. I tell everyone that is my wooden weld. When I shaped it I left it rounded with the sanding marks and it does look like a weld joint. I have used this a lot over the years. I tested it on my shop floor by dropping my test piece, plus kicking it around and it held up. Both ends in place, with the welds. These add on pieces were made with the help of a pattern bit in the router. Here they are just held in place with double faced tape.

I have to let the photos speak for themselves because I do not remember every step. They are built one piece at a time. This photo is to show the bottom reinforced piece (wear plate) on the bucket. I do not have any good shots of this piece It was made from 1/8th in baltic birch plywood. I used a 1/4in. straight bit to make the cut outs. The ears that is sticking up on the top is where the boom attaches.. There are not many photos of this operation. The area where it was taped of when I painted the bucket so it could be glued at a latter time. This is a better shot of the bottom wear plate. I bent it with heat(heat gun) prior to gluing. These are the side wear plates painted. You get a better paint job by doing it in this manner. These last two photos will help show the transitioning to the boom. I use 1/4 by 20 all thread for all my swivel points in a 1/4in hole. No slop this way.



4 comments so far

View crowie's profile

crowie

3318 posts in 2509 days


#1 posted 11-13-2019 01:32 AM

Oh my, that epic….

-- Lifes good, Enjoy each new day...... Cheers from "On Top DownUnder" Crowie

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

6545 posts in 2763 days


#2 posted 11-13-2019 07:14 AM

OMG another item for my bucket list!

gotta love the effort there Hookie!

-- Regards Rob

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

6545 posts in 2763 days


#3 posted 11-13-2019 07:17 AM

I actually worked on a Marion refit many years ago, so its most interesting !

I take it you have seen the Big Muskie!

Keep up the good work hopefully you will get over the burden !!

-- Regards Rob

View htl's profile

htl

4859 posts in 1718 days


#4 posted 11-14-2019 02:16 AM

Beautiful work and project!!!
Just love the larger sizes, so you can add so many great details, I know you can do it in the smaller scale but it’s just not the same to me.
Again nice work!!!

I don’t know if you’ve had a chance to see his work but “here's another builder that works in the bigger sizes

-- An Index Of My Model making Blogs https://www.lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/130264

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com