Custom Dishwasher Panel Progress

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by gizmodyne updated 11-16-2007 07:18 AM 8 parts 21680 reads 66 comments total

Part 1: Design Phase. Getting off my ....

09-17-2007 12:15 AM by gizmodyne | 5 comments »

The QuestThe kitchen is somewhat functional but waiting for its doors and drawers and pullouts. Allright.. it’s not that functional. Anyway, near the top of the list of 100 thinks to do around the house…. Build custom dishwasher panel. The dishwasher I bought has a harness. Build a panel. Screw to harness. Attach harness to dishwasher and voila… Custom panel. Here is a shot of the waiting bay for the dishwasher. Murky waterThe dishwasher comes with following ...

Read this entry »

Part 2: Stocking Up.

09-18-2007 07:22 AM by gizmodyne | 7 comments »

MotivationWife: Just get out there and start working on it. Good advice actually. I was dead tired after some yard work, but I went into the shop Sunday afternoon on Kristin’s advice. Board SelectionI made some changes to the cutlist to reflect a few new measurements. Also I did not have enough wide boards and wanted to avoid having to slice up any more beams. Revised cut list So I culled through my pile of old fir and pulled out some prime specimens. I finished up Sunday...

Read this entry »

Part 3: New Beadboard Style

09-19-2007 05:31 AM by gizmodyne | 5 comments »

New Joinery Option In my cabinet project I milled up stacks of tongue and groove beadboard. I never even thought about making it with grooves on both sides and milling splines until I read an article on (which I highly recommend; get a subscription to their online content). Cutting only grooves simplifies the joinery and set-up time by a huge amount. Beadboard calls for just 2 bits, though you could run the grooves on the tablesaw and dispense with the slot cutte...

Read this entry »

Part 4: V's and Splines and a little advice needed

09-22-2007 03:14 AM by gizmodyne | 7 comments »

V-grooveI had a break from work yesterday before Back to School Night so I headed out again to finish the beadboard field. Setting the v-bit I used a set-up block saved from a prior project to get the v-bit set. The edge groove is simple enough. Just set the bit height to 1/8 and then bury it halfway behind the fence. I climb cut first to get a smooth cut on the fir. The bit is barely exposed so it is a pretty safe operation though I use paddles too. Beadboard detail Running the c...

Read this entry »

Part 5: Domino-ed breadboards

09-23-2007 04:09 AM by gizmodyne | 10 comments »

DominoThis is only my second project using the domino. This time I set the fence on top of the workpiece instead of setting both on the work surface. I was trying to center the tenon. It worked, but I am not sure if I mastered the technique since some of the parts are not perfectly flush. Possibly I rocked it on the narrow breadboards. I should have put a support piece behind the work piece. It is only a hair from flush though. I set the domino for exact width cuts (8×50mm dominos...

Read this entry »

Part 6: Finishing the Dishwasher Panel

11-04-2007 04:56 AM by gizmodyne | 13 comments »

100 steps to a great finishI have written about finishing douglas fir before, but I keep getting lots of questions about it so here I go. Sand to 220. Get in the grooves. Making the washcoat to prevent blotching .. 90% Mineral Spirits Washcoat Part 2: 10% Boiled Linseed Oil Apply Washcoat with cloth. Inspecting the coat. If there are any sanding marks or glue spots this is the time to get them. Applying stain with brush. Clean off. Get into the grooves with a glue brus...

Read this entry »

Part 7: So Close I Can Amost Smell the Clean Dishes

11-12-2007 05:09 PM by gizmodyne | 9 comments »

ScribingI took Todd’s advice and scribed some hardboard strips. The first two strips did not fit well, but then I switched from the jigsaw to the bandsaw for cut out. It wentso well that I decided to just go ahead and scribe the real trim, since it was lighter and easier to see the pencil lines. Here I have the trim board tacked up level. Here I am setting the compass to the distance that the board needs to lose material. I was shooting for 1/8” below the top of the cabin...

Read this entry »

Part 8: Installation

11-16-2007 07:18 AM by gizmodyne | 10 comments »

The installation of the diswasher finally begins. The first step: nailing a steam shield to the bottom of the counter. I spent a lot of time leveling and fussing with the machine. Here you see me marking the plastic templates that come with the machine. It helps to set the height of the panel. It is marked and then attached to the metal harness. Finding the centerline on the back of the panel. Setting the harness. It is alligned along the center line and the marks from the pla...

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics