LumberJocks

End Table Top WIP (work in Progress) #1: Washington House End Table #1

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by gdaveg posted 03-29-2021 01:12 AM 484 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of End Table Top WIP (work in Progress) series no next part

Working on the table top for the legs and apron from my previous blog from August 3, 2020.

Have built the top frame and insert panel for the frame. Both unfinished and not final sanded.

Table top is 25” x 23” with a 4 inch wide exterior frame is black walnut, insert panel is padauk, walnut and maple. Built insert panel pre-covid and shop shut down prior to completing it. Had cut walnut frame pieces last year and they sat in a warm Arizona House most of spring and all summer. Of course were slightly warped when we returned November of 2020. Tried to make them out of 4/4, another lesson learned, but the old frame made for pienty of cutting board material.

So decided to rebuild the table top exterior frame. Bought a 6/4 11 foot long board of walnut from Hood Distribution in South Tucson. They make you buy the whole board. Also don’t let you go through the lumber stacks unassisted.

I knew that the sled in the shop did not cut perfect mitres so I built a William Ng sled. Last week squared up the boards to 5 inches wide by 1.38” thick by 2’-3” long pieces. Yesterday cut them to 4.625” x 1.25” by 27”, rabbeted out 5/8” x11/16” deep to fit the insert panel

Also thickness planed the insert panel, wound up 11/16” thick but dead flat. Sort of scary thickness planing wood that has dried out for about a year in Arizona heat and low humidity plus I paid no attention to the grain angle when laminating them with consideration of planing. They came out great.

Today cut the mitres and glued the perimeter frame. Mitres are very good but not perfect. here are some close ups of two of the corners, one perfect and other not quite. Dry and not strap clamped they were almost perfect. But the clamping caused a slight gap on two opposite corners. Had an issue posting the joint pictures so got and extra pic of the very good mitre.

Early May we will drive back to Washington with top in tow. Worry about the 40% increase in humidity and swelling. Top will be z clipped to aprons so no problem there.

Dave, Vancouver, WA & Tucson AZ

-- Dave, Vancouver, WA & Tucson, AZ



5 comments so far

View gdaveg's profile

gdaveg

136 posts in 289 days


#1 posted 03-29-2021 01:19 AM

Got the San Diego grand kids here and tomorrow will be a zoo day, no shop time allowed.

Next step is to cut a trial panel for the insert from MDO or MDF to assure the sled is cutting nice 90’s. It is a bit loose so would change the mitre sled I built to a cross cut sled temporarily.

-- Dave, Vancouver, WA & Tucson, AZ

View gdaveg's profile

gdaveg

136 posts in 289 days


#2 posted 03-31-2021 02:15 AM

Sanded the walnut frame today to 150 grit. Also cut a test panel the size of the insert out of MDF/MDO. Wanted to check the squareness of the cross cut sled. Looks ok to me, so it is a go on cutting the insert panel to final size.

Not much done today other than test panel cutting and sanding the face and back of the walnut frame. Got our grand daughters visiting for spring break. So a 10 mile bike ride was this mornings activity.

This afternoon the AZ wood shop had the annual bench refinishing, started at 2:30 so between bike riding with kiddos and shop clean up lucky to sand the face and back of the frame.

The Zoo was good, more later. I hope to get this to the finished project stage.

-- Dave, Vancouver, WA & Tucson, AZ

View gdaveg's profile

gdaveg

136 posts in 289 days


#3 posted 04-06-2021 01:12 AM

Grand Kids are gone, sorta sad, sorta quieter here!!!

Cut insert panel to fit the walnut frame. CA glued the worst mitre, mixed feelings on that cuz it made it more noticable. Applied some wood filler on some small knots and mitres. Sanded after drying.

Drilled and countersank screw holes to attach insert panel.

Did final sanding with 220 today and did first coat of finish on face and sides of frame and insert panel. Used Minwax Wipe on Oil based Poly. Used same finish on the already built legs and apron back home in Washington.

Tomorrow I plan to put a coat on the back side of frame and insert panel. Maybe can get another coat on the face of both. I am the shop monitor tomorrow morning so will get in early. Maybe get more work done on a cutting board for a neighbor that has been a good friend.

-- Dave, Vancouver, WA & Tucson, AZ

View gdaveg's profile

gdaveg

136 posts in 289 days


#4 posted 04-07-2021 11:45 PM

4-6 & 4-7:

4-6: coated the back of frame and insert with wipe on poly.

4-7: lightly sanded face and sides of frame and insert panel w/ 220 on ROS. Blew off and applied a coat of poly.

Looks great so far, but the open grain of Padauk and Walnut going to need many more coats. May stop at 3 coats and bring back to Washington to finish. Already got the Z-clips ready to screw leg/apron base to new top together when finished.

-- Dave, Vancouver, WA & Tucson, AZ

View gdaveg's profile

gdaveg

136 posts in 289 days


#5 posted 04-19-2021 02:34 PM

4-16 to 4-18:

Now have two coats of Minwax Wipe on Poly on the back and three coats on the front. Will add another coat today on the back.

Yesterday trimmed the insert panel to allow a bit more expansion room, this table top is going back to the soggy PNW early May.

-- Dave, Vancouver, WA & Tucson, AZ

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com