Cedar Strip Canoe Build # 42 The Decks Are In

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by farmerdude posted 03-06-2016 11:31 PM 2475 reads 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I got the decks in today. In the last update I had a problem with the belt sander. I tore it all apart and found no reason for it to make all that noise. Lacking a better idea, I put it back together. It’s now running fine, time to quit worrying about that. Here is one deck that looks pretty good. I think it will fit just fine, just need to cut it shorter.

I put it in place and ran a pencil along the side of the hull to mark the bottom. I did this so I would know where it was for the next step.

Now that I have a mark I know where to start with the paper. You will want to cover the hull with something, there will be epoxy running and dripping, you don’t want that sticking to the hull.

Before I forget, I want to run the end of the deck through the router and round over that end. You don’t have to, but I like to use this as a handhold and the roundover makes it more pleasant for this.

Now is a good time to pre-drill the pilot holes. I only drill into the outer gunwale. You can’t drill all the way through until you put the deck in.

The gunwales will need to come in, and up. This is a good time to come up with a plan for that.

Obviously the gunwales taper to a point so the clamp will want to slide off. To help with this I use some c-clamps. One on each side, good and tight, and then run the bar clamp through them and it can’t slide off.

I put a couple of spring clamps on the sides , just in case, but I didn’t need them.

I think it’s time to mix some epoxy glue. I spared you pictures of that, you’ve seen plenty already. Make it thick so it will not run off. I put a little on the sides of the canoe, but most of it right on the deck.

It’s covered with glue, stuff it in there.

When you are satisfied with where you have it, drill in from the outside and screw it in. I like to countersink them deep enough to plug the holes because it’s visible from the outside. I forgot to take pictures of this, but it’s simple enough. When you have it secured, you will want to clean it up some. Remember, this stuff is unbelievably hard when cured, so get all you can now.

The same thing applies to the underside, that is really difficult to clean when it’s cured. The best way to do this is with a gloved hand.

Here is the first end, in, and cleaned.

Now it’s time to do the other end. Of course, this is the same thing. The only difference is that I smartened up and put on a little blue tape to cover the gunwales so there won’t be as much to clean.

I guess I lied to you a little, I said the other end was the same except for the tape, there was also this….

As you can see, the bit broke off so far in that I can’t use the vise-grips I filed down for the other broken screw. I gave it a little thought and didn’t come up with anything, and the thought of the epoxy setting up while I stood there didn’t help, so I drilled another hole and moved on. I’m going to try to make my own plug from the same wood, maybe that won’t look too bad. So this is what I ended up with.

Things are coming along nicely now. I hope to get some shop time tomorrow. As usual, if I do I will leave an update. See you then.

-- Jeff in central Me.

7 comments so far

View hoss12992's profile


4165 posts in 2494 days

#1 posted 03-06-2016 11:55 PM

That is looking great. Thanks for the update buddy

-- The Old Rednek Workshop

View English's profile


682 posts in 2078 days

#2 posted 03-07-2016 12:52 AM

Great job, the canoe is looking good.

-- John, Suffolk Virgina

View Redoak49's profile


4341 posts in 2590 days

#3 posted 03-07-2016 01:22 AM

Really enjoy seeing your progress and seeing how things are done.

Thanks for the blog.

View CaptainSkully's profile


1612 posts in 4160 days

#4 posted 03-07-2016 03:00 PM

Really good stuff, Jeff! Did you create a fillet between the breasthook and the gunwale? If you let the thickened epoxy partially cure, you can smooth it down with a gloved finger and denatured alcohol. This leaves the fillet shiny and smooth, requiring almost no sanding.

-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails

View farmerdude's profile


670 posts in 2640 days

#5 posted 03-07-2016 09:58 PM

Thanks guys.

CaptainSkully, I didn’t do that. I have never heard of using denatured alcohol before. It sounds like it works well, I’ll have to try it next time. Thanks for the advice.

-- Jeff in central Me.

View JimYoung's profile


338 posts in 2188 days

#6 posted 03-08-2016 02:16 AM

Hi Jeff,

Lookin’ good as usual. I’ll second the Cap’n’s comment on using denatured alcohol, I’ve used that technique a lot and it really saves on sanding.

-- -Jim, "Nothing says poor craftsmanship more than wrinkles in your duck tape"

View farmerdude's profile


670 posts in 2640 days

#7 posted 03-08-2016 08:50 PM

Thanks, Jim. I wish I had known earlier, I will try it when I get a chance.

-- Jeff in central Me.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics