Walnut Dining Room and Foyer #2: Foyer Table - bottom completed and top glued up

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by elbarneso posted 08-22-2014 01:10 AM 1867 reads 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Project Description / First Status Part 2 of Walnut Dining Room and Foyer series Part 3: Finished Foyer Table and Tealight Holder, On to Dining Table Design »

Just a few pics and progress from this past week – I sprayed a few coats of GF pre-cat satin urethane on the base of the foyer table and glued that up. The finish turned out pretty good, although I had to resand the bottom shelf due to some bad sanding marks that I rushed and didn’t see the first time. I don’t have very good lighting in my garage, but I bought a cheap clip lamp and used it during the re-sand – I really should have bought one of these sooner, although this is the first project I am really (over) scrutinizing everything. Some pics below, although with a satin finish it’s hard to tell much difference from earlier pics – in person it obviously looks much better with the satin coats, but I must not know how to photograph that well yet.

The little white pieces at the joints are old address stickers that you always get in the mail – they happen to be the perfect size to cover the mortises to keep out the finish when spraying. I have used painters tape before, but this worked really well and will probably do it again.

And here is a shot of the table base dry, glued up, and in it’s final location under the matching foyer mirror, patiently waiting for the top to be finished.

I also finished the epoxy fill of the 2 large knots in the table top. I was stressing over this step since I wasn’t sure how easy it would be to color match, fill, or flatten afterwards. I used a very small amount of the System Three brown pigment – not much was needed for my 10 ML of resin to color it right. I added in another 10 ML of hardener, quick mix, and started smearing a lot in the knots. I had to watch it close, as it was curing quick in this Texas summer and I was seeing some depressed areas where the epoxy finally filled in the deep area. Thankfully what I had in the cup was still soft enough to use. After 12-14 hours, I got out my hand planes and did a couple passes and was surprised and how much the epoxy shaved off and felt just like working with wood. Once that was pretty flat, I sanded the whole piece down and started working on the walnut endcaps.

The walnut endcaps for the table top have been cut to fit the curves in the table top, then glued in place. This was a new technique for me, as I wanted to attach and line up the endcaps using my Domino, but it was on a curved surface. I marked and drilled extra deep holes before cutting the curves, and was happy with the results. The glue-up was much easier compared to earlier projects where I have used biscuits, dowels, tape, cauls, or just clamps to keep everything in place while it dried.

2 comments so far

View Woodbridge's profile


3741 posts in 3392 days

#1 posted 08-22-2014 04:06 AM

your project is looking good.

-- Peter, Woodbridge, Ontario

View Mean_Dean's profile


7057 posts in 4122 days

#2 posted 08-23-2014 12:16 AM

I agree—looking good so far!

-- Dean -- "Don't give up the ship -- fight her 'till she sinks!" Capt James Lawrence USN

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics