LumberJocks

Kitchen Countertops in Sapele

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by edapp updated 12-01-2017 01:03 PM 4 parts 5881 reads 7 comments total

Part 1: Board selection, alignment and glue up

08-28-2017 02:29 PM by edapp | 0 comments »

My wife and I have been in the process of updating our new home for several months. We are trying to knock out all of the projects that would displace us before we move in. One of those projects was replacing the old royal blue corian countertops and sink. The only way were going to be able to accomplish this within our budget was for me to make them out of wood (which I do not mind!). Sapele seemed like an obvious choice due to its resistance to water, moderate price and beautiful grain and ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Breadboards, final assembly and fitting

08-28-2017 03:27 PM by edapp | 2 comments »

After the glue dried and the major sections were sanded, I was able to lay them out on the base cabinets and start cutting them to fit against the crooked, curved walls. After scribing to the walls, I squared the ends and cut to width (including a 1.5” overhang) using a track saw. Part of the design of these countertops included using breadboards. One of the things that led to this decision was the lumber I was able to get was a little less thick than i wanted. My thinking was th...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Finshing process

08-28-2017 05:17 PM by edapp | 4 comments »

After adding a very slight roundover to the top edges, easing the bottom edges by hand, and sanding to 220 grit with my orbital sander, I was ready to start the finishing process. After applying a coat of thinned polyurethane to the bottom (thinned for drying time), I poured on a coat of Watco Danish Oil in Dark Walnut. After testing different stains, I liked the tone the Dark Walnut color added. It deepened the dark part of the “ribbon” grain, adding contrast and a...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Nearly done

12-01-2017 01:03 PM by edapp | 1 comment »

We have been living with the kitchen for a little over 60 days and I finally have the cabinet doors and drawers installed (no knobs or pulls yet…). There are still some alignment issues to address, and some doors need to be cut down just a hair. I decided to use the blum compact hinge which does not have quite the ease or range of adjustment that the full size hinges have. I think this was a good decision, despite the pain that it makes installing an aligning the doors. Cabinet doors I ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com