Just some planes restored #10: Another #6, its the worst one yet.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Don W posted 07-31-2011 11:32 PM 2516 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 9: The #4 FrankenPlane Part 10 of Just some planes restored series Part 11: Its a 4 1/2 »

So, I decided to try to restore this Stanley #6 I picked up at a flee market.

This was in the worst condition of anything I’ve restored yet, but I figured I’d give it a go. It’s my third Stanley #6, but it was the challenge calling my name.

First I tried to remove the broken screw on the front knob. I tried an easy out and wound up with a broken easy out in the riser as well. Plan B, which was now being devised was to grind off the riser, and braze a bolt on in its place. With the help of a good welder, that seemed to be successful. Lucky for me, my daughters other half happens to be a really good welder. He fixed it up nicely.

Since the knob was missing, and i didn’t have any rosewood, I decided to make a new knob on my new lathe and a now tote, both out of wenge. Why wenge, well I happened to have some, I think its cool to say they were made out of “wenge” and they look good.

Next I made the knob. I did’t take pictures of this but followed the same process as my previous knob building blog.

For the next part I made this my first test of evapo-rust. I must say it passed with flying colors. I also tried the new rustoleum hammer paint. I was pretty impressed with that as well, although it didn’t seem a lot different than the Dupli-color Engine Enamel DUPDE1635 Ford Semi Gloss Black I usually use. May recommendation, use the one easiest to find. They both seem to work great.

Next it was the normal, flatten the frog, clean up the iron, sharpen, clean up the cap iron, etc. You will note I need a lever cap. That will be the final step. I don’t have an extra. There are a few on ebay, but they run $7 and up. Add shipping and thats 50% more than I paid for the last 2 #6 planes. I’ll find one at some point, either on a parts plane or by trading for something I already have. Like I said, this is my 3rd #6 (not counting the Millers Falls #18) so I can afford to be patient.

You will also notice the front screw is steel and not brass. Again, it was what I had that fit. This will be a user, so color is not a big issue. Would you have noticed had I not called it out? I doubt I would.

Notice some serious pitting on the blade and cap. Luckily this didn’t extend all the way to the tip, so the sharpened end came out ok. It sharpened without any pitted areas on the cutting end.

-- - Collecting is an investment in the past, and the future.

5 comments so far

View CharlesAuguste's profile


126 posts in 3425 days

#1 posted 08-01-2011 03:06 AM

Don, great restoration, im sure that one was close to the dump at some point!!!!

-- "the future's uncertain and the end is always near" J. Morrison

View Karson's profile


35227 posts in 5284 days

#2 posted 08-01-2011 03:18 AM

Nice job.

-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Appomattox Virginia [email protected]

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2078 posts in 3523 days

#3 posted 08-01-2011 04:26 AM

Great restore, DonW.

-- If you're going to stir the pot, think BIG spoon or SMALL boat paddle. David Grimes, Georgia

View Dan's profile


3653 posts in 3764 days

#4 posted 08-01-2011 09:39 PM

Nice work Don. I am like you, I tend to enjoy the challenge of restoring a tool thats in bad shape.

-- Dan - "Collector of Hand Planes"

View DaddyZ's profile


2475 posts in 3924 days

#5 posted 08-01-2011 09:41 PM

Nice Work !!!

-- Pat - Worker of Wood, Collector of Tools, Father of one

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics