Invicta/Delta DJ-15 Restoration #2: Update on Cleaning

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by deejay34 posted 07-30-2017 10:19 PM 1498 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: The Beginning Part 2 of Invicta/Delta DJ-15 Restoration series Part 3: Painting »

Well, it’s been quite a while since I’ve been able to get in the garage and continue this restoration. I finally got a chance to continue the cleaning process on the base and both the infeed and outfeed tables. After reviewing several posts from several different forums, it seemed like many folks recommended Simple Green for removing old grease and caked-on sawdust, of which there was plenty on this jointer. So, I went to HD and picked up a gallon of concentrate, filled up a spray bottle, and went to work. Most of the gunk was removed using a Scotch-Brite pad, but a wire brush was required for getting in all of the nooks and crannies. I had also picked up a set of wire tube brushes, which really helped with cleaning out small holes and the slots for the table adjustment rods, not to mention all of the threaded holes. Here’s a couple shots of the base pre-cleaning:

And here’s a couple shots of the base post-cleaning (not too shabby):

After cleaning, I gave everything a good wipe-down with denatured alcohol and let things dry a bit. Once dry, I got all of the machined surfaces taped off for priming using some good ol’ blue painters tape. I plugged all of the machined and threaded holes with disposable foam earplugs in an effort to minimize any primer/paint that might need to be removed later on. If you look closely, you’ll see that I simply inserted some of the old set-screws in the smaller threaded holes that engage the eccentric bushings. I did this only because I plan to replace all of the set-screws, as they were rather worn and weren’t worth the trouble to try and save. I also prepped a lot of the smalls (i.e. pivot brackets, plates, fence support, rabbeting table, etc.) for priming as well. As a side note, I picked up these handy painters tripods from HD for a few bucks per 10-pack to support everything during priming/painting. They worked out really well. Here’s a few shots of the tape and plug work:

I ended up using Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Clean Metal primer for all of the parts. I’ve never done this before, so I can’t really say whether or not it turned out great…but it looks pretty good to me.

That’s as far as I got this weekend. I think I’m going to start on the sub-base assembly skirt next time, as it’s got quite a bit of funk going on:

Thanks for looking!

-- DJ, "It takes a leap of faith to get things going, It takes a leap of faith you gotta show some guts..." - B. Springsteen

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics