LumberJocks

Invicta/Delta DJ-15 Restoration #1: The Beginning

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by deejay34 posted 03-26-2017 11:33 PM 1501 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Invicta/Delta DJ-15 Restoration series Part 2: Update on Cleaning »

Well, I kind of already started this with my forum topic concerning options for converting a 3-phase jointer that I recently purchased via auction. The forum post can be found here, so I won’t bother rehashing within this series. Suffice it to say, I’ve decided to take Brad's advice and purchase an FM50 VFD in order to allow operation of the jointer with the 120V electrical capability that I currently have in my workshop (garage). I’ll be sure to post updates as that part of the restoration progresses.

As I typically do, I hemmed and hawed quite a bit about whether or not to do a full restoration, or just figure out the electricals and start making sawdust. I think one could make a case either way. Ultimately, since this is my first jointer, I decided to completely rip it apart for the sake of giving it a good cleaning, incorporating some updates, and more or less just to learn about my new piece of equipment. I’ve always learned best by doing, so here we go.

This is what I picked up a few weeks ago:

In general, there is a lot of caked on sawdust stuck to everything. It appears to be a function of some type of grease used just about everywhere, which attracted every ounce of dust and chips it came in contact with. Below are some photos of the front of the machine (table lock knobs) and looking into the machine from underneath the infeed table that are representative of just about every nook and crannie of the jointer:

I should mention that the photo on the right above was taken after I vacuumed out about 3-lbs of sawdust.

I started with disassembling some of the small stuff first: the table locking knobs, the rabbeting ledge, the fence support base, and the cutterhead. The only real issue I ran into was taking apart the cutterhead components, but with the purchase of a jaw puller at the local Home Depot, I was able to get the bearing blocks and bearings off the cutterhead shaft. I should also point out that I picked up a set of Channellock Retaining Ring Pliers in order to remove the two retaining rings from the motor-side bearing block. I’ll eventually have to figure out how to press new bearing back onto the cutterhead shaft, but I’ll deal with that later.

With the help of some Rust-Free, a few Scotch-Brite pads, a little acetone, and a lot of elbow grease, I got all of the smalls cleaned up pretty well:

Per Mike's advice in my original forum post, I decided to bag and tag everything with labels and part numbers (great suggestion Mike!):

Once the loose small stuff was taken care of, I decided to push through and disassemble the big stuff:

Other than the fence components, everything is in pieces. I still need to clean the tables, jointer base, and support base really well, but I’m pleased with the progress thus far. Once everything is clean, I plan to prime and paint, then start reassembly…which will likely occur over the next several weeks. I’ll continue to provide updates as I move forward. Any tips/tricks that anyone has to share are certainly welcome and appreciated. Likewise, please feel free to ask questions…I’ll do my best to provide any answers that I can. Wish me luck!

-- DJ, "It takes a leap of faith to get things going, It takes a leap of faith you gotta show some guts..." - B. Springsteen



3 comments so far

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

596 posts in 4309 days


#1 posted 03-27-2017 01:47 AM

No questions, just commendation! Well sorted teardown! As organized as I’ve ever seen. I am excited to see where you go from here.

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

View oldrook's profile

oldrook

1 post in 132 days


#2 posted 04-09-2019 04:19 PM

I have an old dj-15 and was resetting the knives and the chip breaker or backing bar dropped from the cutterhead. I believe I need to remove the cutterhead to retrieve the part. Any advice would be most welcome.

View deejay34's profile

deejay34

25 posts in 1060 days


#3 posted 04-09-2019 10:35 PM



I have an old dj-15 and was resetting the knives and the chip breaker or backing bar dropped from the cutterhead. I believe I need to remove the cutterhead to retrieve the part. Any advice would be most welcome.

- oldrook

The first thing I would do is lower both the infeed and outfeed tables as low as they go. Just be sure your positive stops are set and locked in good so you can raise the tables back into the same position after the fact. With the tables lowered all the way, you may be able to locate and retrieve the part that you dropped without removing the cutterhead (might need to use a magnet or something to reach into the tight space). If not, first remove the fence assembly for easier access. With the fence assembly removed, remove the belt guard, followed by the belt. Finally, the cutterhead assembly can be removed by uninstalling the four (4) allen-head screws that secure the bearing blocks to the jointer body (2 screws per bearing block). Then, just lift the cutterhead assembly up and out.

-- DJ, "It takes a leap of faith to get things going, It takes a leap of faith you gotta show some guts..." - B. Springsteen

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com