Bass / Guitar Players pedalboard build #4: A recoverable failure.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by dbhost posted 10-31-2015 06:35 PM 875 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Assembly done, some modification to the plan due to idiot forgetting basic math. Part 4 of Bass / Guitar Players pedalboard build series Part 5: Very humid today, paint is still wet! »

So I went into the shop today to shake up the can of Bedliner in a spray can and found 2 issues…

#1. Iforgot I gave the bedliner stuff to my brother in law, so switch to matte black paint.. I have that in a brush on can. Time to shake a can, and shake, and shake, and shake…

#2. While I was shaking and looking at the pedal board, something was off alignment wise on the right side piece to the front. Closer inspection shows that the 1/2” plywood, even though it was pre drilled with nice clean appropriate pilot holes and countersinks, still split right at where the plies meet.I guess they didn’t get enough glue in there. SO I got out the Titebond II, glue brush, and clamps and got busy gluing up plywood.

Noow I wait for the glue to dry again. Mind you, I assembled the entire thing last night dry, no glue. I was going to pop the pieces loose, touch some glue in the . joints, run them back together, then once dry paint which means more can shaking…

That process is going to have to wait until this side piece glue joint dries up now…

Aside from this one failure, and the spade bit issue (concealed quite nicely on the underside) I am good to go to finish it off though. Looking forward to the completed project.

The weather,today and anticipated tomorrow leaves me no doubt that there will be extended drying times for the glue, and finishes. This might not be the fast turn around project I was hoping for!

I should mention this project is a near zero cost project for me.

The wood? All Hurricane Ike blow off stuff that was found in my yard after Ike. No clue where it came from, but I had to put it to use. This is pretty close to the last remnants of it.

The screws? All take outs from previous utility projects. The original box of screws was given to me by a friend that bought a BIG box and only needed a few screws and had no storage for them.

The paint? Stuff I keep around to maintain my BBQ Grille. Not like I need high temp paint on a pedal board, but then again, it’s no cost so go with it…

The Velcro will be recycled.

And lastly, the glue stick for the hot glue gun. Left overs from my wedding. Literally my sister in law loaded us up with bags and bags of glue sticks for doing wedding decor, we went through about 1/2 a bag doing the wedding. Since then we have been hot gluing all kinds of stuff together just to get rid of them.

The only issue I have at this point is the power strip. It really isn’t necessary. Everything that needs power on the board can use the One Spot, and then pull power from the wall or extension cord depending on the situation. I only use the power strip to have a common place to plug the amp, and board in. I can do that with a triple tap.

-- Please like and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics