LumberJocks

Hot Rodding a Harbor Freight Bandsaw. #8: Long term update. Taking care of unfinished mods.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by dbhost posted 11-25-2021 06:59 AM 552 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 7: By popular request, the measurements! Part 8 of Hot Rodding a Harbor Freight Bandsaw. series no next part

So I am back at it doing some maintenance to this old saw. Not super old for many, but it has some years on it now.

Not everyting worked out as I had planned.

#1. The link belt, is still in my toolbox never installed. Just never felt the need as the OE belts smoothed out somewhat quickly. Honestly, probably won’t bother with the link belts until the OE belts die a horrible death. #2. The accura micro adjustable roller guides didn’t pan out at first. I was trying to install them at they were. The problem is the set I got, cheaply admittedly, were sized for probably a Delta or something, and the upper guide just didn’t fit, the hole for the post was just WAY too big. And when I got creative enough to solve the fitment problem, adjusting the guides in / out with the micro adjuster wheel was a pain in the butt. I got to looking for roller guides again after just not liking using cool blocks for all these years, and discovered Accura guides again, but this time it is just the yoke part of the guide assembly. So I just pulled the yoke with the rollers off of the micro adjustables, and sure enough, it was a direct fit. I then reinstalled the lower, and wham! I have roller bearing blade guides on the saw now! #3. That old Crafstman universal band saw fence is ticking me off like you wouldn’t believe. It holds on with some badly designed C clamps. I figure I will find a way to temporarily clamp these in place , and get behind the mount points with a slim sharpie, and mark the mount hole locations, then unclamp, drill the holes, if needed tap the bolt holes, or find the right thread and then bolt it together. Easy enough. #4. The original tires are starting to crack, so I ordered a set of urethane tires for this thing. #5. The MLCS Safety switch is physically installed on the upright post where it belongs, but I never got around to wiring it up. I guess after 12 years, it might be time to do it… .

These past few updates just kind of stayed on my to do list as I was too busy actually using the saw. I guess I should complete the mods to it and THEN call it good…

The 4” dust port at the lower blade guard does work okay, not great, just okay. I am seriously considering shaping and installing a 2.5” dust port for that position, AND a 2.5” to be cut into the lower blade guard, and then connect them together into a single 2.5×2.5×4 wye and go to the dust collector… That should give me better dust collection as most of the dust spews below the table…

-- Please like and subscribe to my YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/c/daves-workshop



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com