LumberJocks

My First Router Table

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Dave updated 07-25-2011 03:09 AM 4 parts 16059 reads 9 comments total

Part 1: The Design

06-27-2011 02:00 AM by Dave | 5 comments »

After a year-and-a-half of woodworking I decided I needed a router table of my own. There are a lot of great examples on this site and they inspired me. All you have to do is browse my favorites to see a few of them. This router cabinet has a lot of firsts for me. I’m using it as both a learning experience and a prototype to convince my wife that I can build something that doesn’t look like I did it in high-school shop class. That’s why you’ll see a bit of over-k...

Read this entry »


Part 2: The Router Table Carcass

06-28-2011 02:43 AM by Dave | 3 comments »

With a design in mind I bought a couple sheets of 4×8 Birch Plywood and got to work. I don’t have pictures of this part of the process, but the first thing I did was to lay out each piece of the carcass on a 4×8 rectangle in Sketchup so I could get check what’d fit and make sure my grain was all pointing in the right direction (at that point I was thinking I might stain the cabinet). I transferred those measurements to the actual plywood sheets. When I marked things...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Wiring Things Up

07-25-2011 02:19 AM by Dave | 0 comments »

Once the carcass of the router cabinet was together the next step was a little wiring. I enjoy wiring things (another throwback to being an engineer I guess) but it’s definitely something you shouldn’t tackle yourself without some experienced advice. I’ve seen a lot of questionable methods and recommendations out there on the internet and it’s helpful to have someone you trust to help you sift through it. For this project I basically wanted an on-off switch for a...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Drawers and a Top

07-25-2011 03:09 AM by Dave | 1 comment »

For me, this is a fun part of the project because it’s when things really start to come together. I didn’t get any photos when I built the top but I basically glued together two sheets of MDF and added some laminate countertop from that big orange box store down the street. I trimmed it with red oak, chamfered the sharp edges, and stained it with a combination of TransTint Dye and General Finishes Candlelight. The only unusual part about the top was an idea I had for mounti...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com