LumberJocks

Moravian workbench build #10: Top not square to the legs now

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by controlfreak posted 01-15-2021 03:02 PM 652 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 9: The Top Has Landed Feet Down Part 10 of Moravian workbench build series Part 11: The leg vise is now functional »

Houston we have a problem. I started checking a few things and realized the top had become 1/4 inch out of square with the leg face over the thickness of the top. This is pretty severe and will cause problems where the leg vise needs to reference to the leg an top. Hmm, with the dowels glued into place the top of the legs adjusting there is not an option anymore. I also found some twist in the top using my new cheap winding sticks. Two 2’ yellow levels ($6 ea.) with one receiving black sharpie on the ends. They will get me by until I can make some proper ones. I commenced to remove about 1/8” on the rear underside of the bench tapering to the front with Stanley Bailey No. 8 (a shout out to @Sansoo22 for it’s good looks!). Flipped the top back over I did the same again and was able to get the top dead flat and square to the front. I still have room to do further adjusting as things move or settle in. I meant to get a picture or the framing square before I stated but got carried away and just went to it.

I had fun once again getting to plane with this big boy. I also am giving my self a pat on the back for being able to recognize the problem and being able to tune or adjust the work piece to bring it back. Who knows, maybe I will call myself a wood worker one day. A completed workbench would help too.

Thanks for following.



2 comments so far

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

17224 posts in 3625 days


#1 posted 01-15-2021 03:42 PM

Heft and Hubris: Accept no substitutes…

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. - OldTools Archive -

View Sylvain's profile

Sylvain

1199 posts in 3506 days


#2 posted 01-17-2021 09:56 AM

I had a rocking problem with my Paul Sellers workbench because the underside of the top was not perfectly out of wind (at the two places) where it was resting on the leg-frames.
As the front apron was already glued to the top, I didn’t try to correct the underside. A well placed shim between the top and the leg-frame solved the problem.
This could also be a mean to adapt to uneven floor.

-- Sylvain, Brussels, Belgium, Europe - The more I learn, the more there is to learn

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com