LumberJocks

Moravian workbench build #6: The legs continue

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by controlfreak posted 12-06-2020 10:43 PM 621 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 5: The legs happening Part 6 of Moravian workbench build series Part 7: The long stretchers »

Using only hand tools I am getting the stretchers in place that tie the legs together on each end of the bench. So far it is going better than I thought. I had some trouble staying on track rip sawing the tenons but at least understood that you can’t change the saw track after it goes bad. I backed up and started from the other side and while it worked it made a lot more work for myself to adjust a funky cut to be straight again. Block and rebate plane to the rescue. I was amazed at how after some test fitting I could adjust the waste removal to get the tenon to fit into the leg straight.

Here is where I am hogging out the mortice.

And here is my hand after much adjusting the mortice walls. I have got to remember to break the sharp chisel edges the next time I sharpen them.

All went together tight and square and after test clamping only a 1/32 off over the length of the leg. It’s a win in my book. Have a couple of gaps here and there but overall I am pleased with how I have started fixing screw ups as they happen instead of scraping and starting over.

Only the last half blind stringer on this leg set before the next set.

Well the half blind was a little more tricky then I thought. It is like three dimensional chess that only Spock can master. It was a delectate balance between the shoulder and width of side walls and depth. Pick any two is not an option here, you need all three.
.
I admit that I reloaded the video and Will said the joint is critical. Well it will be okay but lesson learned. I really got my mojo up for the other side and to be honest did more checking with gauges instead of eyeballing.

Better on the fit but one shoulder was weak. Every misstep is an opportunity to learn and I welcome it. So the first pair of legs is done and on to the second pair. Had lots of leaves to clear so shop time was limited but if you have read this far, thank you! Finale non glued of pair one and marking out pair two.

Continuing on I have completed the top stretcher and the middle stretcher and now only lack the bottom dovetail stretcher. I got a bit off on my auger bit hogging out the waste but was able to cheat a bit to cover my mistake. The darn bit kept following softer grain and touching the waste line enough to barley cross. As someone else posted quoting Chris Schwartz “It’s a workbench, not an alter” but I admit I still want it to look nice. It is a damn good skill builder anyway and I am having fun.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com