LumberJocks

ukulele-a-thon #2: Beginning

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by cfrance posted 12-31-2016 11:31 PM 559 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: What ?!? Part 2 of ukulele-a-thon series Part 3: The end of the building frenzy »

So first thing this morning I tried to download a body template for both of the soundboards (the top and bottom) and bending the sides. As it turns out everyone wants to charge for plans. Or maybe I just wasn’t looking in the right places. So I managed to find some scale drawings at woodgears.ca. However, I realized that his plans, great and welcome as they may be, are for a concert size ukulele(the second smallest size and i am trying to make the smallest.) I added a line to make it the typical length and noticed the sides did not scale correctly. So I simply doodled until it looked right and then cut it out for the master template.

I used this to make the form for bending the sides.

That’s not dirty laundry it’s my ukulele sides made out of fur soaking in a laundry basket.

Here is my hot pipe bender. A heat gun and some 1” black steel pipe.

The bending was slow going as this was my first time doing anything of the sort. I fiddled with the test piece and the first side for about an hour. The second was ready in about 30 minutes. I never thought to look for the “sweet spot” on the pipe. Unfortunately it is on the underside and a bit awkward to use. I’ll have to try and move it to the top before I try and use the bender again.

I have to say this is boatloads of fun and I would recommend that anyone reading this give it a go.

-- Life is 20% of what you make it and 80% of how you take it.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com