Nicholson style workbench #9: The end is near

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by cfrance posted 08-10-2015 03:18 AM 2794 reads 1 time favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 8: Mortice and tenon Part 9 of Nicholson style workbench series no next part

After completing all of the mortise and tenons on the legs I thought it would be a good time to do as much as I could before assembling anything. So I settled on a 3” hole pattern for the legs and apron and drilled them out with a 3/4” bit. I drilled the back of the legs and top out with a 1 1/4” because I was worried the holdfasts may not grab the 4” material. I sanded the all of the pieces and used a 1/8” round over on everything. I had to re-flatten the aprons slightly, which was kind of worrisome but whatever.
I had my first setback of the project when I broke a bandsaw blade cutting the relief cuts for the wedges in the tenons. As this was the first time I have broken a blade on my bandsaw, or any bandsaw come to think of it, it scared the Be-Jesus out of me. I wasn’t to upset that the blade broke, it was the stock blade after all, and it had a good amount of use on it from my last project of building a chicken coop for my wife. Luckily I had some sort of blade to use but because it was only a 1/4” blade I had to reset all of the guides, what a pain to do mid project.
I ran into the second setback of the project when I was widening a mortise for the wedged joint. I noticed during the second dry fit that the last leg was mortised on the inside instead of the outside, way to go you dumb wack job. It’s always the last piece that seems to get messed up, for me anyways. I contemplated remaking the leg but decided to just use it since it was just for me and it just hurt my feelings, not the workbench.
The legs went together smoothly with glue on everything and luckily they were nice and square. After a few test fits with the top still upside down it was time to get my first real glimpse of the end of this build. After an hour or so of tweaking, clamping and even some gawking I was ready to glue the top to the aprons. I decided to bolt the top and aprons to the legs without and glue though I’m not quite sure why. With the bulk of the build now behind me I need to decide on a finish. I am leaning towards just an oil finish to make sure glue will just pop off as I plan on using this as an assembly table. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

This was taken about 10 seconds before I broke my blade. BOOM!!

It fits and is square, time to add some glue.

I could of used another six clamps but this is all I had that fit. Not ideal but it got the job done. I can’t figure out why I used pads to keep clamp marks off the bench, habit I guess.

Time spent 13 hours
Total time 51 hours
Materials used 8 oz. glue

-- Life is 20% of what you make it and 80% of how you take it.

1 comment so far

View waho6o9's profile


8812 posts in 3183 days

#1 posted 08-10-2015 03:52 PM

Nice looking bench!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics