LumberJocks

Shopmade 20" Bandsaw

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by William Shelley updated 11-27-2014 07:36 AM 5 parts 14681 reads 16 comments total

Part 1: The Frame

05-24-2014 07:36 PM by William Shelley | 7 comments »

This is a project I’ve been wanting to do for a while now, ever since I saw the great videos by Matthias Wandel ( http://woodgears.ca/ ) of his shop-made bandsaw. A bandsaw is a tool that I don’t yet possess and my budget is far too small to afford “enough” bandsaw to make me satisfied. I enjoy veneer work and finishing, and working with figured wood is a lot of fun. Being able to resaw my own veneer slices is a capability I would really like to have, however the comme...

Read this entry »


Part 2: The Motor and Driver

05-24-2014 08:04 PM by William Shelley | 5 comments »

A bandsaw would not be much use without something to make the wheels spin. EBay to the rescue. Lincoln Electric 3-phase 1 horsepower 1140rpm 208/230VAC TEFC induction motor I picked this up for about $100 including shipping. It has a 5/8” shaft with keyway, and it’s in fair condition. It was ‘refurbished’ by the seller which basically means they painted it. There is some physical damage to the mounting frame which may have happened during shipping. It weighs ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Base construction and frame finish work

06-08-2014 08:18 PM by William Shelley | 0 comments »

It’s been a little too long since the last post about this project. If my shop was more orderly I’m sure I would be more productive… ah well, time for organization can be found here and there. This weekend I decided to tackle the construction of the base of the bandsaw. My original design/vision called for a base that sat on some adjustable feet, with a pair of wheels at the back which sat about 1/4” above the floor, and that protruded from the rear in such a way th...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Wheels

06-23-2014 05:28 AM by William Shelley | 2 comments »

Progress is happening on this project but it is slow. I made some wheels for the bandsaw out of MDF but ended up scrapping them because I saw no feasible way to solve two problems: 1: Alignment of the shaft to eliminate lateral wobble. The wheel was a sandwich of two pieces of 3/4” MDF with a hole in the middle and the shaft rammed into it.2: affixing the shaft to the wheel in a removable fashion. I would have had to resort to epoxy or something to secure the shaft. I also have...

Read this entry »


Part 5: An update, finally.

11-27-2014 07:36 AM by William Shelley | 2 comments »

Ok, the last post I made about this project was over five months ago. The summer heat made me lethargic and unmotivated, combined with a drop in my available free time as other life things occupied me …. But for the last month or so, I’ve been carving out time to work on this project. Progress – Wheels: In the last post I made, I described the design of the new wheels and showed pictures of some of the parts cut out. The wheels have been fabricated up to a rough versio...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com