LumberJocks

Jayne's Rowboat Rocker

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by captkerk updated 10-15-2011 03:19 PM 8 parts 29691 reads 27 comments total

Part 1: Gotta Start Someplace

12-14-2010 05:04 AM by captkerk | 2 comments »

This will probably be a pretty short blog, but wanted to share some progress of the next rocker I’m building. This one is for child #4, Jayne. It became tradition for each of my kids to get a rocker on their second Christmas and after plenty of thought about what to build, I finally decided on the boat. I have never built a boat so I hope the more nautically inclined folks out there cut me a little slack about my construction methods (or suggest a better method!). I want it to loo...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Sizing up the Sides

12-15-2010 08:45 PM by captkerk | 1 comment »

Today I did a bunch of sanding on the rib assemblies, back and bottom. I then did a clamp together assembly (with help from the wife) to make some layout marks to determine the size of the sides. I used some leftover Luan plywood to make a rough shape for the sides since it was already pretty warped and thus a little easier to bend. I then transferred the shape to the 1/4” oak plywood for the finished piece and fine tuned the shape. After I got one side shaped the way I ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Basic Shape Complete

12-16-2010 03:59 PM by captkerk | 4 comments »

Yesterday started by doing final shaping on the ribs. I marked and cut them to length the night before and yesterday was the trial fit. All was well, so I needed to round-over the edges and sand them. Then it was time to install them permanently. A little bit of glue and a few well positioned screws hold each in place. I made a few adjustments to the bow upright, sanded it and installed it in place as well. Some more glue and screws here. Then it was time to bend the plywoo...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Capping the rails

12-18-2010 04:49 AM by captkerk | 8 comments »

Now that the sides are on the boat, today was about getting some cap rails installed to hide the plywood edging of the sides and give the boat a more finished look. Easier said than done since this is a compound curve. I started by creating templates out of 1/4” hardboard by clamping it in place and tracing the shape of the sides to it. Then I cut out the outside line, sanded to the line and drew in the inside dimension 2” from the outside line. Then I had to make one for th...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Unscrewed

12-19-2010 06:52 AM by captkerk | 4 comments »

I mentioned in the last entry how little I liked the screws in the top cap rail so I took a fellow LJ’s advice and I’m going to ditch the screws and use dowels instead. Problem is that there are marks from the screws so I need to do something to cover them up. I decided to inlay a diamond shape of walnut where the screws were and I will be drilling a hole through that to put in the oak dowel that will ultimately help hold the cap rail to the ribs of the boat. I hope I...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Finally out of the clamps

02-12-2011 04:20 AM by captkerk | 4 comments »

I’ll end any suspense right now and say that I didn’t make my Christmas deadline for this project and at the rate I’ve been going, I’ll be lucky to make her birthday in June! At any rate, I finally have the boat out of the clamps that were holding the top rails on until I could glue in some dowels. I cut the dowels flush and then turned my attention to the bow cap. I cut it out and template routed it and worked on the joints with the rails a bit today. ...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Trimming and sanding

02-27-2011 05:22 AM by captkerk | 2 comments »

Got a few more things done on the boat, starting with attaching the bow cap. I ended up changing the shape a little bit to help blend with the side caps and decided on one more dowel at the bow and splines where the bow cap meets the side caps. Once the bow cap was in place, I worked on trimming the walnut diamonds flush with the cap rails. I did this with a trim router, a straight bit and a shim on half of the baseplate that the bit was set flush with. I was then able to nibble away ...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Please remain seated

10-15-2011 03:19 PM by captkerk | 2 comments »

This is the last blog entry for this project. I tied up all the loose ends by adding a seat, finishing trim, adding the rocker base and fixing a mistake. First the seat… I made a few slips making the seat frame, but after some time sanding that cleaned up ok. Next the trim for the transom. A few small boards and some roundover and that was done. Finally, the slip up. I had made a big slip with the router while truing up the edges of the rails and this is the patch I mad...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com