LumberJocks

Wall-mounted Console

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by builtinbkyn updated 03-12-2019 11:28 PM 9 parts 5846 reads 101 comments total

Part 1: Filling a need or ......

02-11-2019 07:48 PM by builtinbkyn | 8 comments »

actually covering holes in the wall covering in the foyer. The wall covering is basically everywhere on the public side of the house (dining room, living room, foyer). There’s way too much of it to be removed. That would be a huge job. Not happening. Besides it’s all in great shape except for where something was hung. The foyer location is a different story. Here’s the offending spot. What occupied that space was a rather hideous pink lacquer console/shelf wi...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Choosing a joinery method

02-14-2019 04:29 PM by builtinbkyn | 6 comments »

I’ve been kicking ideas around for how to best join the miters of the case for this wall-mounted console. My initial thoughts were hidden dovetails. I happened to watch a YT video of someone cutting them and thought they would be ideal method of joinery for strength. They are also traditional and require all hand tool work which I feel is part of the fun. I think I could pull it off, but then Kenny got me to thinking about expediency and the fact that all that work would be “h...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Procrastinating

02-18-2019 08:24 PM by builtinbkyn | 6 comments »

Well sort of. First I had to work out the issues I was experiencing with the shooting board. There’s definitely some learning involved when using it. It’s not just stick a lump of wood on it and expect perfection. But after figuring out what the heck I was doing, I think I’m GTG with using it. Second procrastination was a neighbor stopping by yesterday. He thought the house was on fire because “of the smoke pouring out” near the side of the house. No fir...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Details, details .....

02-21-2019 12:35 AM by builtinbkyn | 14 comments »

I think my procrastinating was put to good use. I wasn’t ready to proceed with where I was in the design. It’s a relatively basic design which is governed by the circumstances of the location. However I also felt it needed more detail to enhance the overall appearance of the composition. So I put pencil to paper to refine the nitty gritty of how everything will go together. At this point I feel satisfied in the direction this has gone. Now I just need to execute it...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Who pulled the plug?

02-25-2019 05:33 PM by builtinbkyn | 19 comments »

Well I was continuing some work on this project, when the lights went out. Many states in the North East were hit with a wind storm of immense proportions and Pittsburgh wasn’t spared. Lots of localized outages for power all around the city. I lost power right after taking these pics :( Before things went dark, I was able to resaw the panel I glued up for the back. Man I love my bandsaw. Set up a tall fence and halved the panel almost perfectly. Then I decided to ...

Read this entry »


Part 6: I've got the power!

02-28-2019 12:24 AM by builtinbkyn | 11 comments »

Well I have electricity at least. Thankfully, service returned yesterday afternoon. No power for 2 days really sucks. Today after doing some cleanup outside, I returned to furthering this along. Basically cut some dados and grooves for the back panel and for the cabinet dividers and profiled the edge. I abandoned the idea of doing sliding dovetails. They’re really not necessary and I have never done them before. Didn’t want to waste time trying to figure them out. I have...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Turning the corner

03-01-2019 03:49 AM by builtinbkyn | 14 comments »

After meeting with the tree removal guy and taking care of a few things that were neglected during the outage – LAUNDRY mostly lol, I milled the remaining components. Everything is dry fit and looking almost like a finished product. Using simple techniques that I’ve seen dozens of times on YT, but usually fail to employ, made things much easier and cleaner. Using a chisel to form a kerf for the saw is one. Such a simple and quick little method ensures a crisp shoulder, but I...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Finishing the finish?

03-06-2019 03:50 PM by builtinbkyn | 17 comments »

I’ve only been at it since late Saturday afternoon, but it seems like weeks. Building a finish with oil? Not sure I’m in love with it and I can understand why guys like using lacquer. Oil finishes do look easy when you see some guy on YT, maybe even an LJ, with a completed piece only needing to shine from the oil finish being applied with a rag. Then magically it’s done and reflecting the rays of the Sun. Not that fast! It takes many, many coats, lots of patience and m...

Read this entry »


Part 9: Rounded 3rd and heading home

03-12-2019 11:28 PM by builtinbkyn | 6 comments »

Been a busy couple of days for me, but I did get to finish up what really amounts to a box with two doors lol I have to say the box tested my skill and patience. If I ever say I’m going to make something with mitered corners and knife hinges, please talk me out of it :p Ah really it was fun and challenging all at the same time. I learned a lot along the way, and in particular, I learned I need to write down every step before proceeding. I also learned that I should ask questions ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com